• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
Don't recommend the petroleum jelly for patch lube. Petroleum and black powder will make an unfortunate and unpleasant mess in your bore. Doing shotgun wads, you can just soak them in something like olive oil if you want to keep it simple.

Don't recommend the petroleum jelly for patch lube. Petroleum and black powder will make an unfortunate and unpleasant mess in your bore. Doing shotgun wads, you can just soak them in something like olive oil if you want to keep it simple.
I had little olive oil so I mixed olive and canola. I'm assuming it shouldn't matter too much they arnt like dripping wet or anything

I prefer how Swiss cleans up, but many don’t care for the price premium. I have not tried the latest iteration of Goex, so can’t say. Hear good things about current Schuetzen, though in the past found it quite dirty.
I have no problems with Swiss or Schuetzen. Although I still have 4 lbs of the old Goex 3F, I quit using it when I discovered Swiss & Schuetzen. Both clean up much easier than Goex does.

Seems you asked for opinions with your poll asking ‘Worth it?’ You may want to read your OP again. By chance was your mind made up and you were just looking for accolades and a participation trophy? I know folks that won’t use the stuff even if the price is free, but I wouldn’t jump on them if I were to ask for their opinion and I disagreed with it when given. You asked your question in the Smoothbore Sub Forum, a forum one would expect to find points of view from both percussion and flintlock perspectives. Ask it again in the Flintlock Sub Forum if you really want your feelings hurt.
I feel like I've been pretty open about everything said on here so far...

I have no problems with Swiss or Schuetzen. Although I still have 4 lbs of the old Goex 3F, I quit using it when I discovered Swiss & Schuetzen. Both clean up much easier than Goex does.
Hey man! Yeah I will most likely go with scheutzen when I buy a big order from powder Inc... I may throw a can of Swiss 1.5f in there if it's available aswell but for now I'm happy with what I got. Dude had #11s too!

I feel like I've been pretty open about everything said on here so far...
I was only replying to what you posted after you asked for opinions. No offense intended as I cannot read minds when responding to what’s posted.
Are you reading my post? I'm getting it for a deal where can you get lbs of BP for 20$ ea?
It’s an Internet forum and I would not worry about it and just move on.

I prefer how Swiss cleans up, but many don’t care for the price premium. I have not tried the latest iteration of Goex, so can’t say. Hear good things about current Schuetzen, though in the past found it quite dirty.
Humidity has a lot to do with fouling. On dry days I can shoot all day without swabbing, in damp humid summer condition it can be hard to load after 5 or 6 shots with the same powder.

Pyrodex can work just fine. It depends on what you're using it in.

Flintlocks? You may have a tough time. My Brown Bess (75 Cal) will use it, but I have to use BP in the pan and 5 grains of BP down the barrel first to ensure good ignition. My son's 32 cal flint squirrel gun absolutely won't go off with Pyrodex. This place warned me about Pyrodex when I first got my 'Bess. They were right.

I have a 54 cal caplock Hawken that ate Pyrodex pretty well, but I eventually learned BP gave better performance.

Talking to the kid behind the counter at Academy this morning. Saw one jar of triple seven and one box of pyrodex pellets. The rumor he heard was in order for the store to keep selling it, you would have to fill out the same form as you would to buy a modern gun! Background check for pyrodex! Of course maybe he was messing with me to buy the stuff now…….
IIRC, the explosives license requirement does not kick in until you try to purchase large quantities (>50Lb) of BP at one time, or if you try to purchase blasting grades like 2FA.

Humidity has a lot to do with fouling. On dry days I can shoot all day without swabbing, in damp humid summer condition it can be hard to load after 5 or 6 shots with the same powder.
This makes sense. I never shot with dry patches, so I have no comparison reference. When I lived in Michigan (generally high humidity) and regularly went to shoots, I always used patches lightly dampened with water-based bore cleaner. It was not in the bore for long, BC I loaded just after I put up my target, and left my rifle unloaded after the last shot. With this routine, I never had any trouble with fouling. I always used Goex powder and RWS caps.

I wonder if the difference might be in the charcoal that they use? Hardwood charcoal with higher ash content might cause more fouling than lower ash softwood.

IIRC, the explosives license requirement does not kick in until you try to purchase large quantities (>50Lb) of BP at one time, or if you try to purchase blasting grades like 2FA.
Give them time. This will rear its ugly head in the future….

I wonder if the difference might be in the charcoal that they use? Hardwood charcoal with higher ash content might cause more fouling than lower ash softwood.
You may be on the right track here; the old time standard was to use Willow charcoal. No way to test it myself, but I generally take note of what was considered good stuff in the historical setting.

Black Powder is harder here to find on any shelf then it is in California, so hard that I have NEVER seen it here Anywhere other then a few times at a gun show; and some of the larger shows here have a "Zero Powder" rule and that goes for substitutes too.

However, I have had no problem getting it, except for a short time in 2020.

Now Pyrodex is on most shelves here but have never bought any and don't intend to.

Talking to the kid behind the counter at Academy this morning. Saw one jar of triple seven and one box of pyrodex pellets. The rumor he heard was in order for the store to keep selling it, you would have to fill out the same form as you would to buy a modern gun! Background check for pyrodex! Of course maybe he was messing with me to buy the stuff now…….
Curious where this was. In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, there are the BP substitutes everywhere on the shelf. Wednesday, walked in the local toy store to pick a bottle right off the shelf. The closest BP that I found is in the Wichita Falls area at 2.4 hours of good driving just to get there. 😒

Back