• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex pellets in a revolver...any one use these?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, some say good and some say bad.

So you have a 50/50 chance of it going titz up.

With loose powder, the chance is reduced by almost 100%.

That's a choice?

Pellets are kinda like the Keurig Cups of the Muzzleloading world. A bit of a ripoff, price wise anyhoo.
Pardner I am drinking a cup of coffee made using a stainless steel reusable pod in a Keurig and I do not feel ripped off at all.
having said that my guns are cleaned with Moose Milk Ballistol and water a 1:10 mix. I do use distilled water do avoid rust spots from minerals in my tap water.
To get back more or less on thread before Zonie yells at me
To avoid rust and corrosion my guns use real HTG Black Gunpowder like they were made to use.
I think my thoughts on that "P" stuff, rust in a bottle that burns, have been plainly stated elsewhere and will not be repeated.
Respectfully
Bunk

Stock up on Pellets if you can. Grafs is out of all usable powders except 1f -reenactor type.
Buffalo had only 4f, which in a pinch can be used in reasonable lighter loading. I had to
pick up some 4f as a precaution. I love flintlocking, and over time will consume it. But folks
a panic is going on right now over powder. Does someone know something that I do not?
Is there a plan to shut down powder sales? Or limit the amounts? Why the panic buying?
Local Bass Pro had a few pounds of Pyrodex left on a big empty shelf.

I'm not a fan of powder pellets mainly because they cost more than loose powder. They also don't allow a person to adjust their powder load to get the best accuracy. This leads to my advice for those among you who own a brass framed cap & ball revolver. Don't use powder pellets in it.

Because they come in close to maximum powder charge size, the high pressure can damage your brass framed gun.

I like Pyrodex much better than black powder. Much less fouling. I can shoot all afternoon without cleaning the barrel. It is more accurate and constant (chronograph confirmed )than black powder.

I like Pyrodex much better than black powder. Much less fouling. I can shoot all afternoon without cleaning the barrel. It is more accurate and constant (chronograph confirmed )than black powder.

Yeah, I don't get the Pyrodex haters. I've had good luck with the stuff. Don't mind the smell, seems to deliver the same accuracy, clean-up is about the same (if anything, slightly better), it's more available (or was) and you get more shots per pound. it may be more sensitive to loading inconsistencies, however.

The pellets, in a rifle at least, are a different story. They foul worse than loose Black or loose pyro and you lose the ability to fine-tune the load; the gun is either 'roaring or boring'. But they've always worked for me, just not that accurate.

I am going to try pellets in the revolver. I have a tremor in my hands and if they work they'll make loading easier and less messy. Just ordered some from Bass Pro.

Last edited:
You are wrong Sam. Pyrodex does not lose anything from storage and age. I was given a bunch of old muzzle loader supplies that in included a can of 10 year old open can of pyrodex. It chronograph 15 - 20 fps from new.

WellI’m glad you got some good stuff. I have had nothing but trouble with it. Be sure to CLEAN your guns very well after using it. It will ROT a barrel left neglected.

Back