• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Twist Rates and Lead Ball vs Conical (JD in this Case)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As noted, I now have a ROA on the way, it occurred to me to look up the twist rate (1-16).

The ASP NMA and the Pietta NMA Target have 1-32 Twist rates. I have not seen any difference so far in shooting the JD conical s and round ball in either gun as far as accuracy goes (I have fixed my old glasses and will be able to see the sights a lot better my next range session).

I would have expected some solid indicator that one or the other like balls and or the conicals .

The ROA should show a preference I would think to one or the other with that much twist rate difference, but am curious if others have seen that or its some like one and some like the other.

Also in keeping the story right, I have been working to getting a consistent seating depth. There is at least one person who thinks 777F does not like to be compressed and that is mostly what I am using (with some Pyrodex 30 gr pellets just to play with things a tad more). Having done some depth checks I have been compressing the heck out of the 777F.

I will see how it does with the depth check and not a serious compression of the 777 in a couple of day when the range is open again.

Back