• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Punt Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Too-Tall

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok a dream is about to become reality I am finally going to build a punt gun. Has anyone ever built one before, and can offer tips. I know the bore I am building is going to be 2 inch on the dot with a 4 inch overall round barrel leaving 1 inch of steel on the sides. Which from what I gather is this way more then enough to be safe but is what the machinist states he will only make. I plan to use one pound even of powder with a larger siler deluxe lock to ignite it all might be a bit small but usable and thats the goal. Anyone got an suggestions other then to get my head examined, and yes I know it can never be used for anything other then exihibition but its too cool not to make.

please explain what a punt gun is? i havent heard this term before.

-matt

I will let John explain the history but it would be so cool to shoot down huge flocks of starlings. I was just talking to a student of mine and he came up with the idea of starling control. and by god use real lead shot reclaimed of course it is recycling as well. You could be hired out by cities to prune the trees the starlings perch in and get rid of the starlings then feed the starlings to bait and capture the feral cats its a win win win.

I know you may think it is "cool" to have a punt gun, and tell people you are shooting a pound of powder out of a 2 inch bore, but these guns can easily kill or injure you, if you don't know what you are doing.

Please don't go into this with blind enthusiasm. Study original punt gun set ups, and how they are secured to their mounts. Read W.W. Greeners "The Gun and it's Development" where he designed a spring loaded recoil reducer. Having the gun barrel burst and injure you is far less likely to happen than having the recoil injure or kill you. This isn't a toy to play with.

Well if you can imagine a blackpowder smoothe bore shotgun about 10 ft long and capable of killing 40-100 ducks in one shot. It was used to kill large amounts of ducks as they sat rafted up on the water, and built around a small boat called a "Punt" thus the name Punt Gun The hunters would lay low in the boat and use the oar off the back sneak up on ducks typically by rounding the bends and would engage the ducks with this massive gun. It typically fires at or close to a pound of black powder and a pound or more of shot, but were often loaded with rocks, glass, nails, anything that was cheap and could kill a duck, accuracy wasn't as important as making a huge kill. Had so much power if is capable of blowing the boat backwards in the water a few feet. It was used during the duck rush where they were commercial harvested around 1840-1850. It completely decimated the duck population to the brink of extinction. Thus was banned, as well as commercial duck hunting. You can goggle search pictures on the net, its a very big impressive weapon. Basically like a long skinny cannon to kill ducks. I just have always wanted one so why the heck not make one, its cool to take to duck shows, or other outdoor demonstarations. Thats where I first seen one and I was hooked forever and halways wanted one but never needed one(Does anyone) but I figured I got a few extra bucks why not build one, they aren't perty by any means and the barrel and boat are the biggest cost, found a boat for $200.00 and a guy to make the barrel and breach for $400.00, the rest it big hunk of wood for make shift gun stock, a lock, and crude trigger. Often times the trigger was pulled with a rope. Hope this helps.

Got it covered I meet a guy who has one mounted already he has his build on to a sliding rod and rope device to help take the recoil out of the gun, and i seen how his is secured to the boat and how the barrel is secured by both banding and major pegs. I have done the homework and making sure the parts are well made by professionals, and my Pal is going to assist and make sure it is safe and secured properly. Definatly not taking this lightly by any means.

Whenever I ever thought about Afghanistan I never imagined enough water to float a boat or waterfowl hunting?

Ok when I get back home for good from this deployment I will be making it. But for the record theres a lake right outside from our COP and it has ducks in it.

You might want to think about using a Brown Bess lock. It is bigger and stronger than most other locks. I would recommend using only 1F powder in this.

You might want to post this in the cannon part of this forum. The cannoneers there have some rules about bore size and barrel thickness that need to be followed if you are going to shoot a whole pound of powder.

I think a 1" bore which is a 4 bore would be big enough for what you want to do. There are a couple of barrel makers out there that make these big barrels for builders of Wall Guns. So you won't have to find a machinist to fabricate it for you.

As far as I can tell the only difference between a smoothbore wall gun and a punt gun is that the wall guns were better made.

Many Klatch

If I understand you're original post, you're machinist is making you a round barrel with a 2" bore and a 4" outside diameter, right?

Will this barrel taper toward the muzzle at all? How long do you intend to have it made?

1" walls at the muzzle is totally unnecessary for a gun shooting shot loads and would be extremely heavy. For $400 or a little more you could probably have a barrel maker make you a proper barrel for a punt gun. There are at least a couple of barrel builders that can do barrels over 48". You may want to call around.

Enjoy, J.D.

Thus was banned, as well as commercial duck hunting.
Actually, the advent of regfrigeration spelled the end to commercial duck, and other game, hunting. Commercial hunters were needed to supply restaurants with fresh meat daily. The concept of regulated hunting came later.
Actually, the idea of building a punt gun sounds scary to me. Too much can go wrong. Methinks a Brown Bess lock would be a better choice.

The only thing that scares me about building a punt gun is that I don't think my shop is big enough to wield the length of the thing without knocking things over or hitting the ceiling.

Now, shooting one with a full payload...that's another story! Not to mention proofing the barrel.

Enjoy, J.D.

As a resource to you I would suggest you try and get in contact with the Chesakeake Bay Maritime Museum at St. Michael's in Maryland. They have a few nice punt guns (and the punts as well!) and may have measurements and info to help you.
http://cbmm.org

waterfowling_05.jpg

punt-boat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Rifle Shoppe Inc." sells over size locks for wall guns, seems more fitting for this project. Me? If I were enamored over such a project, I would make a smooth bore wall gun, at least there would be a possibility of using it. Good luck, stay safe!!
Robby

i'm confused, why would you put a flintlock on a punt gun? they were well into the percussion and breechloading era yes?

Medic, I don't know the timeline for the evolution of the punt style hunting, though I seem to remember seeing a small fuse lit cannon that was used for that purpose on the Chesapeake bay. I just assumed flintlock because that is as far as I go in the evolution of guns in my gun making. In this context, if you asked me about an M4, I would be trying to figure the best flint lock to use with it. :grin:
Robby

Little John Z said:
Ok a dream is about to become reality I am finally going to build a punt gun. Has anyone ever built one before, and can offer tips. I know the bore I am building is going to be 2 inch on the dot with a 4 inch overall round barrel leaving 1 inch of steel on the sides. Which from what I gather is this way more then enough to be safe but is what the machinist states he will only make. I plan to use one pound even of powder with a larger siler deluxe lock to ignite it all might be a bit small but usable and thats the goal. Anyone got an suggestions other then to get my head examined, and yes I know it can never be used for anything other then exihibition but its too cool not to make.

Based largely on several decoy books that I have, and several original punt guns that I have seen in Maryland and Virginia, I will offer a couple suggestions. The punt gun was a tool of professional market hunters who were not numerous or wealthy enough to get the attention of large scale or high end builders. The 4-5 guns that I have seen were all very large - designed to be fired while securely tied or bolted to the punt, and very crudely made (think 4x6 for a stock). The guns were mainly used to supply waterfowl to hotels & restaurants in the post Civil War era when rapid (rail & steamboat) transport to market was practical. Loads of up to a pound of shot & maybe 3 ounces (Not a pound) of powder) seem to be typicalish (I doubt if ant two punt guns were quite alike). Based on the timeperiod of later 19th c up to their ban (but not total demise) in the early 20th c, I would suggest a percussion musket lock with musket caps (think CW surplus or damaged musket for a lock) as much more likely than flint & more reliable in a low to the water boat out in the misty pre-dawn hours on the water (this was one shot hunting (perhaps "gunning" is a more descriptive term) of floating flocks of ducks, geese, coots & swans. Back in the day, Diamond Jim Brady was said to eat six lobsters followed by two ducks at a single sitting. Around the northern North Carolina sounds, "Blue Petes" (local slang for Coots) were a staple of the hunters as they had little market valve being smaller than ducks - if you can't sell it, you may as well eat it.

Anyone know what a coot tastes like? :idunno:

PS - my Forum name of "Coot" is based on my collection of coot decoys

A close friend who has family in Louisiana actually knew a "black sheep" uncle who actually used a double-barreled version as late as the 1950's. The gun was a combo with one lock flint and the other percussion. The theory was that he'd fire them together, the percussion barrel would cause the stern of the boat to drop due to recoil and the flint barrel would fire by the delay of the design to get all those ducks who got off the water. Interesting idea that seems to have worked till the Louisiana game warden figured out what was happening! :haha:

I know this is dangerous and I thought about using a percussion lock and musket cap but the first punt gun I have ever seen has a large flint lock on it and though I have seen cannon fuses, percussion locks and now even an electronic iginition system I like the flintlock idea myself. The wall gun idea is not a bad choice either never even gave it thought. The gun I build will likely be used for anything other then demo's sounds like a waste of a gun to me to but this is 25 years of dreaming of this gun. I have a 3-4 months of research time left to make the plans for the gun before I could even begin to build it. As for thhe powder charge I have fired 6 different punt guns and the least amount of powder anyone used was 9 ounces. I know people think I am crazy to build one but thats what they said about the first guy to make one too.

[/quote]
Anyone know what a coot tastes like? :idunno:

[/quote]

i tried it once, all the recipes call for the meat to be soaked in malted vinegar to take out the fishy taste.

it tasted like fishy shoe leather, guess 24hours wasn't long enough.

Back