• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Huge Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had not heard that. Most of the historical sources I have seen indicate that commercial sales of ducks to high end restaurants in large cities along the East Coast were the primary economic drive behind large scale hunting with punt guns. I do know that Michener, who meticulous in his research for the novels he wrote, talks about this in his book Chesapeake.

I would be interested in hearing more about fertilizer, ducks, and punt guns if you have sources.
An old friend of mine about 35 years ago told me that that was what punt guns we're used for(?).. way before internet, so I have no idea of the validity of his statement.
So I too would like to learn more about this possibility.

Meh, those market hunters were involved in the wholesale destruction of our natural resources, and there had been enough animals wiped out or nearly wiped out by that point that they can't really claim ignorance.
The guns are kind of an interesting and neat thing on theor own, but I have a hard time divorcing them from their purpose.

Went to museum in Havre Degrace. It was an eye-opener for me, the punt guns were enormous. My visit was in 2005.

Attachments

• 21B96F7E-9338-4A47-9167-A35248D25D83.jpeg
    21B96F7E-9338-4A47-9167-A35248D25D83.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • E091AC1E-3087-4841-8D88-4F10DF5442D4.jpeg
    E091AC1E-3087-4841-8D88-4F10DF5442D4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • C7256964-3F88-43B0-B10C-1813EC58C29F.jpeg
    C7256964-3F88-43B0-B10C-1813EC58C29F.jpeg
    701.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 959B976E-93AC-481C-8DCA-A972719AFDDD.jpeg
    959B976E-93AC-481C-8DCA-A972719AFDDD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Meh, those market hunters were involved in the wholesale destruction of our natural resources, and there had been enough animals wiped out or nearly wiped out by that point that they can't really claim ignorance.
The guns are kind of an interesting and neat thing on theor own, but I have a hard time divorcing them from their purpose.
Actually, dramatic reductions of waterfowl due to commercial hunting with punt guns is what first began to change the public’s perception on hunting and conservation.
Due to these concerns, punt guns were banned from legal use in the 1860’s. This began a change in the way people hunted and the laws that governed legal hunting. It is and has been argued for many years that the first real conservation movement in the US was a response to the use of punt guns.

I had not heard that. Most of the historical sources I have seen indicate that commercial sales of ducks to high end restaurants in large cities along the East Coast were the primary economic drive behind large scale hunting with punt guns. I do know that Michener, who meticulous in his research for the novels he wrote, talks about this in his book Chesapeake.

I would be interested in hearing more about fertilizer, ducks, and punt guns if you have sources.
Indeed when it comes to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and the Chesapeake Bay, the birds were taken for sale as a high end food source.

Market Hunting

LD

After these guns became illegal in the Chesapeake the owners still used them. They were often buried to hide them. When you see many of these guns today they are in pretty rough shape. Used in all types of weather and then buried....not good for high condition.

Back