• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Puget Sound Free Trappers monthly shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Lobo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading and figured I would like to find out a little more about the pastime. I looked on the internet and found out from the Washington State Muzzleloaders Association that there was a shoot to be held this morning down at the Capitol City Gun Club. They meet monthly on the first Saturday at 10 am for the shoot.

I drove down and ended up having a great time. The fellows I met (the names of most of whom I have completely forgotten--sorry!) were all enthusiastic and very friendly. I got to see a wide variety of muzzleloading firearms, ranging from Thompson Centers and Lymans to hand-built flintlocks. Two of the gentlemen even allowed me to fire their rifles.

One was a custom flintlock made in the style of the Lancaster rifle. .45 caliber with a swamped barrel and a beautifully finished stock. Jim, its owner and maker, showed me how to prime and load his rifle and gave me a quick tutorial on its double set trigger. I took aim at the silhouette target and BANG!! I surprised myself by actually hitting the target. Jim said it is a tack driver. I would have to agree.

The second fellow, and I am afraid I have forgotten his name, had a beautiful .45 caliber half-stocked percussion rifle. I remember that it had a nice rust brown finish on the barrel and buckhorn sights. He showed me how to install a cap from a slick little brass holder and then let me fire his rifle. Once again, I was able not to embarass myself and hit the silhouette.

This was my first experience firing black powder rifles. I was impressed with the gentle recoil; more of a push than a slam. Kind of like a rocket taking off down the barrel. As I said above, I had a great time and plan to be back for the next shoot with this group of guys.

I think I am hooked.

I've seen your type of story before...many times.

You "think" you are hooked. When in actual reality, You ARE hooked! You just have to admit it to yourself!

There is no cure either!
So.... whats your first gun going to be??? rock lock or cap gun? full stock or half? and then the big question...what caliber? :hmm:

get your self a rifle, get into this "game of ours" and then get yourself a smooth bore flinter. I did. I call it the "Humble-izer".

dang I love this stuff!

looking forward to your questions and stories you, you, you BP addict!

Latest posts

Back