• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Providence marked musket..........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday, I became the owner of a musket with markings of "Providence Tool Co" and "1865 with an eagle" on its lock. It also has "U.S." market on the buttplate. It's stock has been shortened and now has 1 band. It's barrel is 32" and mics @ .642". I would like to learn anything that you might tell me about this piece. I am going to try to take a turkey with it this year, if possible. I have "proofed" it with 70 grains 2f with 1 7/8 ounce of shot and saw no ill effects. Any information at all is appreciated. Thanks, Skychief.

Ohhh I have been looking for a "Providence Tool Co" lock.....

They were Spingfield 1861 pattern .58 cal muskets made here in Providence Rhode Island for the during the Civil war. Sounds like you have one of the many 1861's that where bored smooth after the war and sold as surplus.

That bore diameter is between and 18 and 17 gauge size. You can probably use 17 gauge wads( nominal .649", but .16 gauge wads would probably also work. Circle Fly sells the wads, but you can pick them up from many suppliers. See the Links here under " Member Resources " on the index page to this forum.

Have the gun inspected thoroughly by a competent BP gunsmith before shooting it much. I think you are using way too much shot for that gauge. Reduce that load to 1 1/4 oz. with that powder charge and you should have a nice gun. It may not pattern well, so you can reduce the powder charge to 2 1/4 dram (61 grains) and a 1 oz. load for a light load for that gun. Be nice to old folks, and old guns. they will last longer.

I agree with the prior post about what the gun is. A lot of those Civl War rifles were bored out and sold for $1.50 as shotguns, just to recover some of the money the Union spent on arms it no longer needed. Cutting the stocks down was also common, as a way to take off weight, to make the gun more attractive to a civilian market. Many of these were purchased by immigrants seeking to acquire land under the Homestead Act in the Western Plains. A Dollar would buy a week's groceries for a family of 4 back then, to give you some idea of just how much a gun would cost, compared to today's prices.

Thanks Paul! The load I listed was indeed stiff! I wont use that load to hunt with, but wanted to proof the gun before proceeding. I had a friend and blackpowder gunsmith check the gun and he seemed satisfied that it was safe. I have a concern in that the bore seems to be oversized nearest the breech. I can feel this with a rod...the bore seems very uniform until about 3/4" from "bottoming" to the breechplug. No liquid was seen where the breechplug(tang) meets the barrel after shooting ,so, I didnt see any evidence of gas escaping there. I fired the gun 10 times so far. I suppose the only way to see what's what is to pull the breechplug. Any thoughts about this? Thanks, Skychief.

I would not pull the breechplug if you don't have any water leaking from the plug. So what if the last 1/2" is a bit wider? That is where the powder charge is going, and will be burning. If the length of the wide spot were longer, and you were going to shoot PRB loads in the gun, it might make a difference. But it won't if you are shooting shot loads. Just stick with light 16 gauge loads and enjoy shooting the old gun. And, use ONLY black powder. The Subs burn at higher temperatures and creat higher pressures. Not much higher, but when dealing with an antique gun, BE NICE! It will last a lot longer.

I am shooting a shotgun my grandfather owned that dates to the late 1890s, or early 1900s. It is a " Hardware store shotgun, made in Belgium, but marked with the hardware store's name. It has exposed hammers, and originally had full choke tubes in it. The family history says he used it to go duck hunting with his brothers and cousins in Michigan, but no one in Chicago remembers Pap bringing any ducks home! They all think the guys just drank, and played poker in the cabin, rather than go out in the cold blinds to shoot at ducks. My grandfather never talked to me about those days, or his shotgun. I inherited it after his death. I had to cut 8 inches off the barrels, because the right barrel had a deep long scratch or crack that ran that deep down from the muzzle, and right through the choke, in the very thin muzzles. Its now a cylinder bore DB shotgun, with exposed hammers, and the guys in the CAS sports always drool over it when I have it out at a range. With 22 inch barrels, I have used it to shoot dove, and pheasants hunted over pointers.I also do okay with the gun at Sporting Clays. I use only light 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8, or 1oz, loads in the gun, to be nice to the old girl.

Swamp Rat said:
Ohhh I have been looking for a "Providence Tool Co" lock.....

They were Spingfield 1861 pattern .58 cal muskets made here in Providence Rhode Island for the during the Civil war. Sounds like you have one of the many 1861's that where bored smooth after the war and sold as surplus.

Swamp Rat, thanks for the reply! I am glad to have found this musket. I can't believe how tight the lockwork is ...strong and smoooooth! I really believe they don't build them like they used to. I hope to take a gobbler with her on the 23rd of this month! Thanks, Skychief.

Back