• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Projectile of choice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a round ball guy, I don’t think conicals belong in ML except for those types that were made for conicals after the invention of them.
Few civilian style guns were made for them until after the WBTS.
Ballisticlly even crude conicals outperform ball and some designs even by the last third of the nineteenth century were ‘over the top’ compared to ball.
However, all ml are garbage arms. Slow, no quick follow up.keep your range short. I know guys have gotten two hundred yard quick clean kills, but they did so with ultimate knowledge of their gun and only taking perfect shots. No questionable shots.
This is the key.
Think of ml as archery on steroids. Get close, only take shots you’re sure of, hunt like you will starve if you don’t get the kill, you only have one shot, and nearest resupply is a months hard travel away.
Stay in range, and in range a conical won’t be better then ball.
Yes military got five hundred yard hits with conical. However a wounded enemy is as good as a dead enemy, any hit is a winner, and here beyond a hundred yards a conical shines.
In the deer woods you want a quick clean one shot kill, and that requires only taking solid shots, nothing questionable, and that requires ranges that are effective for ball.

Back