• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Project #2 - replica Burgundian cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coehornboy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's the latest project. I wanted to make an early cannon, and decided on a burgundian design that I saw on the internet (here's a photo of the original):
89ed5571.jpg

MY CANNON IS APPROXIMATELY 1/2 SCALE

The barrel is made from oil well tubing..this stuff is has a hard outer layer and also has cooling fins that somewhat replicate the old "stacked rings of iron" look of the original. I had a friend turn a stainless breech plug which is pinned with a 1/4 stainless pin AND TIG welded into place..the bore is approx, 1 1/8, and I use a 4oz fishing sinker and 300 grains of ffg.

The carriage required some imagination...remember, I'm thrifty (cheap), so I scrounged up some lumber, including an old spreader bar from a hammock (the stick with the holes in it). The thick slab wood was from old '70's pine shelving that was 1.5" thick.
PICT0058.jpg

Next, I made a full size template on butcher paper, and cut the wood. I sandwiched the thick pine between scraps of maple and whatever hardwood I could find, and used Gorilla Glue and lots of old bolts and washers to hold everything together. The next photo shows the first version of the carriage, sans wheels. Compare this to the final photo:
PICT0116.jpg

(ignore the wrong date on the photo...cursed technology!!)
Next, I neeeded wheels. Remember, I'm thrifty (cheap), and unwilling to shell out $$$ for custom spoked wheels. So, I modified the design to a sort of "garrison carriage", with smaller, solid wheels, cut from pine slabs. I attached smaller oak wheels inside and outside w/ glue and screws to reinforce the big wheels and act as bearings. I also attached rings on all sides to anchor the gun when firing. An old bronze oar lock was installed in the trail, and I can put a spike through it to help add "drag" when firing.

HPIM1951.jpg

HPIM1952.jpg

Next, I'll make some sights and add some sort of fine adjustment for elevation. Overall cost was about $20.00 for hardware and spar varnish (not including the cigars and spirits that I bribed the lathe operator/ TIG welder with).

Again, I encourage those of you that are unsure of trying a project like this venture out and take the first step...research and read...talk to people that have been successful with their projects and that can help you make sure that what you are making is safe and correctly designed. And lastly, find the person whom is willing to help you with the parts of the project that require expertise beyond your current skills (for me, it was lathe work).

Cohornboy, another job very well done. I to am always "thrifty" when building my cannons. Both have used oil well plungers for barrels. Have to hire all my machine work done, so have to save elsewhere. h4198

Latest posts

Back