• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Product of Cider Vinegar Stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GobblerKnob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I read so much about the use of cider vinegar stain, that I decided to try it. I poured a mason jar almost full of white vinegar and dumped in some old barbed wire I found on my property. It's been brewing about 2 months.

A couple nights ago, I applied one coat to this stock. It went on a very bizzare shade of brownish orange. When it dried, it was a mdeium brown with just a hint of orange. When I hit it with the heat gun and rubbed on some linseed oil, the curl popped out and the whole thing turned the color you see here.

I find it to be very striking, indeed. Enough so that I'll use it again on the next gun I've started.

This rifle sports a 42" swamped .50 caliber Green Mountain barrel and a Deluxe Siler lock. I aged the brass with ammonia to give a very nice patina. It will all go back together when I'm finished with the stock. Rick

6aae3732.jpg

cbfe2906.jpg

Rabbit I have some thats bin working 6 mos,still wire left.had to add more vinegar one time. I did some hawks handles,but haven't got to the gun stocks yet,hope mine comes out that good.Didn't know about the heat. Dilly

I've got some that's been brewing with steel wool and some very rusty nails for 3 weeks now. Keeps changing colors in the jar..one day it looks like beer, couple of days later it's like black coffee.... Lightens up again. Anyway your rifle looks great! Please post pictures when it's finished....loojack

Always wanted to try that as a stain.... maybe on the next horn plug.....

Or.... I could just go ahead and get myself a kit gun.... :hmm:

Maybe a smootbore.... It would look great in the white with that color.... :thumbsup:

Nice work...

Do you sell to New Yorkers ???

Legion

Wow! That's the exact whiskey brown I've been looking for! White vinegar and old barbwire?!! Dang, I'll be getting my homebrew started this weekend. Can't wait to see it when you're done.

The wire wasn't eaten completely. Vinegar is weaker that nitric acid and it takes longer for the wire to dissolve. This has been brewing for a couple months now. I'll add more vinegar when the level gets down. More wire when that dissolves. It's always a work in progress.
Be advised, your results will vary due to the variables involved. Make certain you try it out on a scrap before committing to your project. I'll post more pictures when it's all togther. Rick

Rick
How 'special' was that peice of wood? Looks mighty nice now! I'm just supposing that it was a higher grade to start with. Yup, looks real nice, I'm jealous. Looking forward to the pics.

I wanted a blank with some nice curl. This is what I picked out. I suppose it's a grade 4 or 5
Rick

rick :{

the stock looks awesome, got any close-ups of the carving, everything is exceptional, i'm sure your very proud of this one for sure. :bow:
keep up the great work !! :hatsoff:

different metals will give different colors on the same wood..........bob

348773.jpg

been at a stand still with my vertigo from an ear infection since the beginning of dec....can't stay on my feet for more then an hour or less....haven't worked since then or hunted....almost bed ridding....i wouldn't wish this on anyone....it'll git done soon...i hope..............bob

P.S....pic's will folow....

give me a couple of days....i'll have a list fer ya saying what metal, how much i started with and how much red apple cider vinager i started with....been gone awhile just feeling good enough to sit here at cpu...........bob

I was wondering where you got to Bob, I didn't see you post for a long time. Hope your feeling better real soon.
Finnwolf

thank ya....it's hard to sit here some days....maybe 10 - 15 mins at the most....but i'm hanging in there...............bob

Back