• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prize Table Ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My local club is sponsoring a regional match. Each member is to provide a prize for the table with a minimum value of $25. I know what common prizes are. What would be something that a seasoned shooter would find valuable?

Most seasoned shooters have already put together their preferred "Kit" of accessories which diminishes the value of winning another "doo-dad".
I've always preferred to win "Consumables".
Flints, Powder, Caps, balls or lead, etc. to help hold down the cost of shooting.

Don, I agree! Our club, The Ancient Ones of Maine attempts to hold a monthly "Geezer Shoot" with blanket prizes. It seems that the cash or powder is first pick. We are using subscriptions to Muzzleloader ($32.00) as door prizes for our Outdoor Sports and Gun Show Feb.25&26.Great value!

I agree with Don and R.I.

Especially when it comes to a prize situation where the first place person gets first choice, then the next person next choice, and so on...., You never know what a person is going to find "valuable". :grin:

A bag of shot is great....tough to make at home, AND if you don't own a smoothie you can melt it down into ball.
A half-dozen beeswax candles
A half-dozen flints
two yards of 10 oz. Linen Canvas , for making packs and straps and suspenders.
A piece of deer hide that meets your cost parameters - everybody can use some spare leather, from making small bags, to holding flints, to making laces, knife sheaths, ad infinitum
A bunch of "Pewter" buttons, maybe all one size or maybe a mixture..., or maybe bone buttons for shirts?
How about four bars of lye soap ? Just the thing to wash your clothes for proper patina. As a matter of fact I use it on my hunting clothes (no perfume).
How about a bundle of two or three replacement handles for a 'Hawk?
A couple of pounds of dried American walnut hulls?
A nice tin of authentic flake tobacco

And just because a person may be an old-salt, doesn't mean they wouldn't pick up something they probably have, to have a "spare".
A fishing kit with proper 18th century hooks
A sewing kit
An unassembled lantern kit
How about a well thought out first aid kit in a "correct" container, or a small, store-bought kit, with a leather or linen cover???

Any of the above if it's not something the winner can use themselves, can be re-traded or become a gift in the future. There are lots of possibilities.

LD

I fully agree with Don Steele, R.I. Jerolmon and Loyalist Dave. :metoo: The most valuable prizes are the consumables. Who wouldn't want a pound of black powder or a few bars of good soft lead, a dozen flints, etc.?

I myself prefer something hand made if you have the skills to make something half way nice. Can't go wrong with consumables either. They being consumable will always be needed at some point.

Every other month at my club is a blanket shoot. The prizes run the gamut between modern knives and equipment to hand made stuff. Like the other have said, consumables, are always good, but a good bottle of something, i.e. Rum, whiskey, homemade wine, is always a favorite.

OH WAIT...,

I forgot the "other" consumables...., Well, One Type was mentioned...potable...,

HEY why not throw a Ham-Shoot and actually award HAM? A turkey shoot that gives away a Turkey...frozen, of course.
A big spiral cut, honey glazed ham for the winner,
Followed by a smaller, just spiral cut hams for the two runners-up,
Then you can decide on giving other meat, like a canned ham for 4th place, then maybe 5th and 6th place get a small summer sausage or such...

BUT... you have to watch the age of the group as some of our cohorts can't deal with the salt and the nitrates. :shocked2:

LD

We did do something like that for the September shoot, the blanket prizes had to be homemade food stuffs, canned, or fresh from the garden or hunt. We had guys and ladies bringing canned goods, fresh baked pies, bread, cookies, fresh, but frozen wild game, rabbits, deer, bear etc. it was a great shoot

I need to shoot with this crowd!

We're having a bit of a trading session / round robin at School of the Longhunter and these are some great ideas.

Hey Sgt,
What are the dates for this year? I've been invited, and have wanted to come for years now, but being a teacher, with only 3 days off per school year, it's kinda hard to go far for just a weekend...

It's April 6th through the 9th. I made a post about it in this section if you'd like some more info about it.

I'm pretty sure, too, that you could come for as little or as much time as you'd like, in case you couldn't make the whole weekend. I think this one is going to be the last one actually

Metal gong targets

Long gun cases

Small camp items, like cooking pot stands, latern kit,

Another vote for your skill set, a small carved or engraved item. Priming horn, flint wallet, sash, etc

Back