• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Primer Compound -- getting it to stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Many have used copper or brass to make the cups. Most often in 30" roles from hobby lobby. It' 36 gauge or .005 thick and soft. Cost is a problem though.. A 30" x 10" role can make 1200 cups if you you don't mess it up. So your cost would be about $.015 per cup made. The pop cans could be as cheap as nothing to $.05 per can in my state. I fold them over to make double layer cups .The cost results in about ten per penny here. Doubled over I get 48 cups per can. The doubled pop can make a pretty good percussion cap. Been using them for years.

has anyone tried making a homemade reciprocating punch attachment to the die? so you can just focus on feeding the metal thru the punch and cranking out production. be something I would buy, uncharged 2000 caps by the bag for $10

I have been using Guiness cans, painted side on outside of cap, made a measure for the priming compound out of a plastic coffee stir stick (the ones that are small straws). I folded the little straw over and pinch it with hemostats for a handle.

I wet a piece of gift wrapping tissue with alcohol, and tamp it in with a wooden matchstick.

I've had great success with this.

Actually thought about doing a video to show people. Maybe I can put some pics up later.

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was great !

Im very interested in doing this, Im going to give this a try! Thank you

Nobody is going to do all that work for half a cent per cup. The die can be set up on a drill press,arbor press and reloading press. I have done the drill press and reloading press. Either way it's much faster than the manual way. 500 up to 1000 per hour can be done. If your binder is working you don't need any tissue or foil in the cup.that will only slow you down. My hands are too clumsy anymore for that.

I had tried binders, like varathane, and acetone, but had a lot of duds.

Found the wet tissue holds in place pretty good. And not a single dud in about 150.

I use a matchbox to take shooting, and I put a folded paper towel on top to keep them from rattling around and dislodging the compound.

I'll see about some pics or video over the weekend.

Ok What is varathane? Acetone isn't a binder.Now wonder it didn't work. The instructions that come with the die is the problem. The binder supplied with the kit is useless. I don't have duds either. Most are using Duco Cement thinned with acetone with good effect. If the tissue works for you that's another way to get there. I had these same problems about four years ago. My powders crumbled and fell out too. My first binder that worked was hairspray. You had to not use it too thick or it would kill the powders. Plus the spray could blow the cups off the table. Ah good times. To them using Duco cement. If you pre-treat the cups with a drop .Let it dry and then add your powders . Bind as normal. You will have Very good and durable caps. I do this when using shellac and alcohol..

It's really hard to beat the Duco and acetone mix. I see no reason to explore further, my caps rattle around all day, and nothing falls out. The Duco cement is pretty flamable on it's own, so leaves no residue. I have found these caps to be absolutely reliable in all my guns. Just follow what n.h.schmidt says and you will do well.

How much powder are you gents using in your cups? For me I have found that more than half full before tamping is too much. I have glued one of the little plastic cups that the toy revolver caps use to a match stick. Cut down to less than half size. .Put into the cups and press down by hand.It ends up about as thick as cardboard. Then use a binder of any kind that works. This is a powerful cap for sidelock guns. Maybe too much for the revolvers. I use a lot less for them.

i will have to play with the toy rollcap material. how many are needed in the cup for reliable ignition?

I noticed there are different types or forms of Duco cement, can one of the experienced users confirm which duco cement is best to utilize for the caps please, thanks in advance for your information and research!

Most often seen on the hardware store rack. The tube is mostly green with some yellow. Called Multi-purpose household cement. 1 oz. Thin with acetone Two drops of Elmers glue in a table spoon of water works nicely. Almost everybody has that.

I use the .005 " brass sheeting.

Attached is a photo of a tin of my home made caps.

These were made with a #11 cap maker and paper roll caps I punched out with a small hole punch.

To secure the explosive dots I used duco cement. A single drop per cup.

If you have any Questions about them I'd be glad to help with what has worked for me.

Fire away!

Attachments

• 16384822916222203792583276156581.jpg
    16384822916222203792583276156581.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Back