• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Primer Compound -- getting it to stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the .005 " brass sheeting.

Attached is a photo of a tin of my home made caps.

These were made with a #11 cap maker and paper roll caps I punched out with a small hole punch.

To secure the explosive dots I used duco cement. A single drop per cup.

If you have any Questions about them I'd be glad to help with what has worked for me.

Fire away!
roll caps give enough fire for consistent ignition????,

Are you using the German made caps that come in the red plastic tubes? That's about all that I can find anywhere.When I was using the paper caps, I used six for the revolvers and 10-12 for my side lock rifles. No paper I lifted the dots off the role. I do mostly use pyrodex and need the power.

yes i use the german caps. and i use around 5 dots per cap that have been punched out with a very small hole punch. So there is a little paper in there but it doesnt seem to bother with ignition of the holy Black

Are you using the German made caps that come in the red plastic tubes? That's about all that I can find anywhere.When I was using the paper caps, I used six for the revolvers and 10-12 for my side lock rifles. No paper I lifted the dots off the role. I do mostly use pyrodex and need the power.
where do you find those?

i did also purchase the primer compound from 22lrreloader.com but i havent used it. The paper caps work fine and are cheap. I bought the cap maker for a course in self sufficiency and to make sure if things keep going south in the world I could, at the very least, keep my smokepoles runnin'.
you can get your caps to 100% reliability but you must take your time and make sure you pay attention when making each cap. Its definately a labor of love...
your persistence will pay off when you pull the trigger and hear the Boom!

i'm still waiting for my orders to arrive from 22reloaders.com its been over 3 weeks

can anyone send me some punched empty caps so i can get some shooting in on my smokepole?

i'm still waiting for my orders to arrive from 22reloaders.com its been over 3 weeks

can anyone send me some punched empty caps so i can get some shooting in on my smokepole?

Still waiting on mine also, or I would be happy to. Apparently USPS has lost my package.

DW

Mine is showing up today according to USPS! Send me an address and I’ll punch some out and get them back to you ASAP.

F28A6C1C-A8C0-4982-8593-264B590850CB.jpeg

How about an update on this subject, gentlemen? Do those aluminum caps slip on the nipple well, yet also hold tight? Your thoughts on the Prime-All would be interesting, too.

I tried the nail polish, mixed 50/50 with acetone. The compound sticks very well. But the caps won’t ignite with the rifle. They ignite just fine with a hammer & anvil but not on the nipple with the cock/hammer. So that batch got lit off with a blow torch — total loss.

Next, I went with 2 drops of acetone vs the 1 recommended in the directions. It seems to help set the compound firmer and deeper into the cap. I set it aside to let it evaporate for a few min before spraying a coat of clear acrylic & then cure for 24 hours. Seems to be working great on the ignition side. I made a foam insert to go in the cap tin to hold them all face-up & not rattle around. We’ll see how that goes.

Back