• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

price of powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I am not sure how the powder equates to our powder grades, but I found a German shop selling Wano Boller pulver, a former of black powder for 18 Euros per kilo. That is about $10 a pound. Why is powder that cheap retail there and so expensive here.

Because you are a "rich" American that has a non-mainstream hobby.

Prices rarely reflect the actual cost of producing, packaging and getting the product to the local market. Prices reflect "what the market will bear".

How much can a Koala bear ?
I just the other week paid $80 Australian for 1 kilo of German Wano brand FF powder. I bought two.
I did baulk at the $90 original price on it & because I had a bit of a shopping list that day he dropped the price to $80.
The time before that I could even buy it I had paid $65. I must have asked 20 times in as many places in the meantime.
Ridiculous I say.
O.

"I can get that here, after import, for $13.50 a pound."

If you were to buy for resale your minimum markup would be 40% (and should be more) which is $5.40 meaning you would have to sell it for $18.90 per pound plus sales tax and shipping. GOEX is $17/lb. locally and cheaper in 5 pound bags.

Powder isn't that costly to make , what drives up the costs are shipping , hazmat fee's each time it is shipped, and cost of all needed licenses. :idunno:

Because you are a "rich" American that has a non-mainstream hobby.

???????????????????????????????

Yes - the cost of "hobby items" are driven more by some perceived ability to pay than any actual production/transportation costs to get the product to you.

Compare the cost of a "marine part" to a regular "automotive part". No reason for it to be 4 times as expensive, but the obvious thinking is, if you can afford the boat, you can afford to pay a premium for owning one.

And the cost of items is set according to the standard of living of the people buying the product.

If the "end user" can't afford 20 or 30 bucks a pound for black powder, then it won't sell at all or it won't sell for that.

The Chinese probably burn more black powder in the form of fireworks than most of the rest of the world combined. I can't see it being worth 20 or 30 bucks a pound over there where a well paying job gives you 250 bucks a month.

So yes, as a "rich" American (Canadian, Western European etc) you can AFFORD 20 or 30 bucks a pound IF you want to pursue that particular hobby because you spend more on lunch at McDonald's than half the world makes in a week in wages...

Boellerpulver is not a sporting powder, but roughly compares to the Reenactor powder, which by the way is all I use for my shooting. In a 25# plastic bag, it was $9.60 per pound from KY.

read this topic

what do pay for the Black Stuff in the US ?

hereby a pricelist for what we pay in germany

Unbenannt_zpsrqe5jb2x.png

right Row
Price in Euro
left beside
Amount of Powder in Gramm
left beside
Granulation of Powderkernels in mm .

if you need more information bout this list pls let me know

regards Klaus :hatsoff:

Klaus, I got the price directly from Pfnur's boeller shop web site 10 days ago. That price (18.00 Euros per kilo is still up. Then something called Explosia is 16 Euros per kilo.) Is there is regional difference between prices in Bavaria vs your state (Bundesland)?
http://www.boeller-pfnuer.de/Pulver.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Zimmerstutzen,

you are right with the actual pricelevel but the Pfuershop is a special shop for Boeller and Canon.
This is an old History in Bavaria and Austria
I think about they sold a year much Kilograms may more Tons of Powder to the Bavarian Boeller Schuetzen that Wano and Explosia offer them a very very good Price.
Unfortunately he has got no other Powder for Rifle or Pistol use.

Klaus :thumbsup:

The powder used for pyro is much different than what I use for shooting. Most pyro powder I would only shoot in a cannon for fun. It is not nearly the same quality of the swiss powder I use,

fleener

yes i know

why do you use Swiss ? No harm meant
you are able to buy the new Olde Eynesford Powder
i would give a lot for if i could get it but until today there is no Importer available to bring this stuff to Germany ....

all what i read in serval Forums Shilo Sharps, old historic shooting and also here Old Eynesfornd shall be the best stuff at present time

may you will give it a try

Klaus :hatsoff:

I buy powder by the case and I still have a few cans of swiss. I have no plans on trying a different powder. Swiss works for me and my rifles.

I don't know of any of the target shooters in the long range game that uses anything other than Swiss powder. A buddy tried OE a couple of years ago and ended up tossing me the can as I was walking by. He did not like it or want it any more. I use it in a shotgun.

I might be missing something by not using OE, but most likely will not try it.

Fleener

Back