• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Price of Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been researching prices of this n that n tool costs & it just not add up in my favor. All the other per say kits cost as much as the Kibler WoodsRunner. I took a look at a bbl./lock/stock, that added up to almost 700 samolians. Throw in the rest of it plus shipping n taxes bbl./ramrod inletting. Its at least $1100. So if i just stop my impulse buying n save another $500 i can get a much better kit of Kibler's than i can do myself ! Most likely be this coming Spring. Well at least that is my plan.

Spend those extra "samolians" on a Kibler kit. You get so much more than just the parts alone. I think @azmntman simplifies it a bit much, but probably from the POV of much experience. It's not that easy, but easier than whatever else out there is offered. Go for it. :thumb:

All the other per say kits cost as much as the Kibler WoodsRunner.

BINGO.

Don't think Jim Kibler hasn't done the math too. It's a no-brainer in my book unless you just have to have something he doesn't offer....and he started a rumor himself recently that an English fowling piece will be added to the lineup soon.

BINGO.

Don't think Jim Kibler hasn't done the math too. It's a no-brainer in my book unless you just have to have something he doesn't offer....and he started a rumor himself recently that an English fowling piece will be added to the lineup soon.
He chimed in on another thread last week and put a time frame on the next release. Said something to the effect of give em 6 months.

I have been researching prices of this n that n tool costs & it just not add up in my favor. All the other per se kits cost as much as the Kibler WoodsRunner. I took a look at a bbl./lock/stock, that added up to almost 700 samolians. Throw in the rest of it plus shipping n taxes bbl./ramrod inletting. Its at least $1100. So if i just stop my impulse buying n save another $500 i can get a much better kit of Kibler's than i can do myself ! Most likely be this coming Spring. Well at least that is my plan.
You can’t get better. Track is great kits, but won’t be assembly ready unless you hire Track to do so
Sitting Fox the same
Parts is expensive, and cheaper kits won’t be the quality

He chimed in on another thread last week and put a time frame on the next release. Said something to the effect of give em 6 months.

He mentioned it in passing in his WR carving release video too, I almost think it was a slip! I wanted a trade gun from Kibler really badly since I finished my SMR, but none in the future at that time so I built my own and started in on another one with a Kibler lock. Looks like I'll have three, never can have too many single-barrel bird guns, can we?

I have been researching prices of this n that n tool costs & it just not add up in my favor. All the other per say kits cost as much as the Kibler WoodsRunner. I took a look at a bbl./lock/stock, that added up to almost 700 samolians. Throw in the rest of it plus shipping n taxes bbl./ramrod inletting. Its at least $1100. So if i just stop my impulse buying n save another $500 i can get a much better kit of Kibler's than i can do myself ! Most likely be this coming Spring. Well at least that is my plan.

Its been my personal experience that anything really worth having, is really worth waiting for.

Not much has come easily in my life (apart from a successful Divorce) and no doubt like many others on this forum, I've had to save incrementally over months sometimes years to be able to lay the required money down for that elusive "one of" ML gun.

"All things come to he who waits" (Author unknown).

Al kits are 10% off until the 31st, including quick ship.

Kibler kits are the best kits out their for a new builder, most other take varying degrees of building experience to do them justice. As Jim expands his selection of kits there will soon be something for most muzzleloadening folks. SMR not my cup of tea, Colonial is great, and Woodsrunner even better. As far as style, historical look, and caliber selection. Can't wait to see if he makes a smooth bore, and a Plains rifle / Hawkens at some point. Maybe he will even develop a percussion lock some day?

Unfortunely as Jim can turn out so many cookie cutter guns with his manufacturing process, you loose some of the "personality". That is where YOU as the builder come into play. Learn to carve, I am struggling with that right now. Go to shows and museums to see how you want to finish Jim's kits. That is part of the fun in this hobby.

My three words of advice:

1. Jim's kits are the best game in town for the newbie. Quality, price, and ease!
2. Do your research, take your time and you can have a very special semi-custom piece
3. Don't count on making money, all muzzleloaders - if used they depreciate in my opinion. Black powder and how we clean them put miles on these firearms. I feel if I can have enjoyment in building, shooting them, and I break even on the cost of the kit and finishing materials it is a win- win.

On my second Kibler build, a smooth bore Colonial. Wish I had a Woodsrunner instead (length as a deer hunter). Tempted to cut six to 8 inches off my Colonial, part of that customizing. Weight and length is a little too long and heavy for deer hunting in the woods of Pennsylvania. Or maybe just finish it, sell it and buy a Woodsrunner? But they are all the rage these days, especially with the carving option.

All of my rifles (except TCs) had 42" barrels, my first flintlock has a 7/8" straight barrel in .44, it is a heavy rascal but once I got used to it, I didn't notice the extra weight until I made a sorta' Beck with a 42" swamped .54 barrel, then the 7/8" barrel feels like a telephone pole again.

I made a 12ga turkey gun Fowler with a 38" barrel; it is so handy that I decided to make my next rifle in the Haines style with a 38" Rice .54 swamped barrel. The resulting rifle is a joy to carry and hunt with.

A long boring story to say I agree with your wanting a lighter, handier rifle like the Woods Runner.

Latest posts

Back