• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Price Check?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to buy a NIB never fired or assembled TC Cherokee with the .32 and .45 barrel plus factory cleaning kit for $900. Price seems about right considering what I’ve seen just a used rifle go for, but what do you all think?

Kind of what I’m thinking. Was more than I was planning to spend, but I figure I can sell the .45 barrel later and getting a decent chunk back. Plus how many Cherokees are left in that condition?

EGAD!

I wouldn't break up the set in any manner...

You would have the quintessential caplock system. A light and handy rifle, with a .45 barrel for whitetail, and the rare .32 barrel for small game (.36 was more common). I would merely buy a pair of Lee dual-molds in .45 and .32, and a tap-o-cap tool, to thus ensure future decades of woodland and meadow adventures.

LD

Kind of what I’m thinking. Was more than I was planning to spend, but I figure I can sell the .45 barrel later and getting a decent chunk back. Plus how many Cherokees are left in that condition?
The price doesn't sound unreasonable given the description. If you sold the .45 barrel you'd likely end up with a .32 Cherokee for about the going rate.

I own both a .32 and .45 Cherokee, actually two .32s. In the case of the .32 one has set triggers the other a single trigger. The .45 is a single trigger model.

I've never had much luck making the .45 shoot well, accuracy wise. I'm sure there are people who've killed deer with a Cherokee in .45 but these guns appear to be a bit delicate for the type of charges suitable for deer.

I'd be interested to know what others have experienced with the .45 Cherokee, both accuracy and deer capable wise.
My .32 with the set triggers is a peach. The .32 single trigger model is a bit tougher to shoot accurately but it has potential.

The price doesn't sound unreasonable given the description. If you sold the .45 barrel you'd likely end up with a .32 Cherokee for about the going rate.

I own both a .32 and .45 Cherokee, actually two .32s. In the case of the .32 one has set triggers the other a single trigger. The .45 is a single trigger model.

I've never had much luck making the .45 shoot well, accuracy wise. I'm sure there are people who've killed deer with a Cherokee in .45 but these guns appear to be a bit delicate for the type of charges suitable for deer.

I'd be interested to know what others have experienced with the .45 Cherokee, both accuracy and deer capable wise.
My .32 with the set triggers is a peach. The .32 single trigger model is a bit tougher to shoot accurately but it has potential.
No personal experience, but reading around it seems a lot of people settled on 50-60 grains of FFF behind a prb. Seems like heavy loads with maxi balls was mostly leading to the cracked wrist.

EGAD!

I wouldn't break up the set in any manner...

You would have the quintessential caplock system. A light and handy rifle, with a .45 barrel for whitetail, and the rare .32 barrel for small game (.36 was more common). I would merely buy a pair of Lee dual-molds in .45 and .32, and a tap-o-cap tool, to thus ensure future decades of woodland and meadow adventures.

LD
Thought about that, I don’t really NEED another deer capable muzzleloader, it would be neat to keep the set though and could even keep one barrel in the truck incase I get tired of waiting on deer or want to shoot squirrels while tracking or dragging out.

There’s no real point in keeping the “set”
together unless you’re going to put it all away and not shoot them. It’s not like the barrels have matching serial numbers or anything. $900 is about what I’d expect for that package.

There’s no real point in keeping the “set”
together unless you’re going to put it all away and not shoot them. It’s not like the barrels have matching serial numbers or anything. $900 is about what I’d expect for that package.
You don't think being able to shoot deer and small game is a good idea? A lot less expensive with a .32 than with a .45, eh?

LD

Back