• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Predicted versus Actual Powder Dispensed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I usually like shooting my black-powder arms with pre-measured charges. However, there are times when I wish to load directly from the flask.

BTW, please save the comments about loading directly from the flask. I've shot black-powder for over 40 years and haven't had a problem with left-over burning embers in a barrel or chamber.

Anyway, the powder weight that is written on the packaging for the measure isn't always what comes out. I'm sure that all of you know that.

Yet, what can we do about it?

I decided to use an electric pencil and engrave the actual value of my powder dispenser on the tube itself.

I use FFFG in all my guns. So, I dumped a predetermined number of charges in the pan of my electric powder scale and divided the total weight by the number of charges. That gives me the average weight of FFFG powder dispensed from the flask with that powder measure. I did this several times to get an accurate value for each measure.

It is a little difficult to see the numbers on the tubes below. My engraving isn't the best in the world but what is important is the amount of powder that I expect to be dumped from the flask with a particular measure.

Note that the two middle measures differ a little in length but yet they dump 43 grains of FFFG. There is one measure that is almost the same length as the 43 grain version to its right yet it only dumps 41 grains.

Believe it or not but the measure that is third from the right was supposed to dump 60 grains but will only yield 50! The one that is 2nd from the right was supposed to give up 55 grains but puts out 52 grains.

Moral of the story; don't trust what the package says. Weigh the charges and find a way to mark the measure.

Powder Measures.jpg

I always load from a powder measure for consistency. Like you, I haven't seen an ember cause a problem in over 30 years but it could happen. In any event, I measured the adjustable measures with a scale and found them quite accurate. I know using BP gives some leeway in charges, it's not like modern powder where a tenth of a grain can matter. But I figure my marksmanship introduces enough inconsistencies, so limiting other factors makes sense. :cool:

Jeff

I make my small caliber pre measures from 357 cases but have also used centerfire cases trimmed to hold specific weighed cartridges. Very cheap and make extras to have handy if one gets lost.

Latest posts

Back