• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

British and American Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just acquired a copy of a Country Life Collectors Guide by Frederick Wilkinson, the secretary of the Arms and Armour Society. ISBN0 600 43590 3, which was printed in Hong Kong in 1971. The UK price when published was 65p and it consists of 63 pages and is hard bound.
The chapters of the book are:- Before the flintlock. Early developments. Placing early flintlocks. Variations on a theme and Perfection and Replacement. With 63 pages the content is limited but crammed with information. I am still reading the first chapter which starts with the pre-baltic lock and explains how early firearms appeared in the UK and developed into the matchlock and wheellock weapons.
I have learned some more names for the parts of guns. The hammer was the cock. The frizzen or steel was the hammer and prior to that was the battery. The snaphaunce has come and gone and I am now up to the early flintlocks.
The author has an extensive knowledge of his subject and his book is well worth reading.

Back