• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

“The Killer of Wolves” Folding Stock Flintlock Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_8317.jpgIMG_8323.jpgIMG_8325.jpgIMG_8316.jpg

I’ve not seen many like this one before, this original flintlock blunderbuss is the great grandfather of the modern folding stocked shotgun, but with more style. Much like in the Western US in the early 20th century, Wolves were hunted to near extinction in Italy by the mid 1800s. Muzzleloaders like this one may have been one of the choice tools from hunting the Italian Wolf in the 18th and 19th centuries.

This particular style is often called an "Assassino di lupe", which translates to “Killer of Wolves”

My personal research on this piece and the history behind it is limited by a few things. The first being a limited understanding of the Italian language and with it, a lack of records for Italian gunsmiths of the 18th century. What I can say is that both Lazaro and Lazarino come up on several original Italian flintlocks but not always together. The William Randolph Hearst Archive has two pieces crafted by Lazarino, one a pair of flintlock pistols described as follows;

"Of the most exquisite craftsmanship. These great objects of art may be favorably compared with any pieces of their type known to exist. The locks and all-steel mountings are chiselled with the greatest possible freedom and depict human figures, masks, birds, monsters and foliage in great profusion, the hammers and triggers being especially worthy of notice. The mounts are set in walnut stocks which are slightly carved; the barrels are fluted at the breech and of circular section beyond. Both are signed Lazarino Cominazo. From the Sigmaringen Museum. Provenance: Purchased by William Randolph Hearst from Mr. R. Bartel Sale through Sotheby, & Co., London, July 29, 1930 for $4720.26; sold to City Museum of St. Louis, June 15, 1939 (A Remarkable Pair of Flintlock Pistols)

The second being another pair of allegedly early 17th century pistols - "The locks and furnishings of steel are boldly and beautifully chiselled in the finest Brescian style with Renaissance designs introducing foliage and figures and cherubs; the barrels are grooved and chevroned. The locks are marked ""Pictro, Florentino,"" and barrels ""Lazarino Cominazzo."" From the Collection of T.E. Kennedy. Believed to have been originally in the Bernal Collection. Provenance: Purchased by William Randolph Hearst from the Herbert Jackson Sale through Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, London, March 1. (An Exceptionally Beautiful Pair of Flint-Lock Pistols in Perfect Original Condition)

It’s important to note that both of these pistols, as well as other pieces by Lazarino viewable online all have his name on the barrel, not the lock or the stock. This could mean that Lazarino was the gunsmith and utilized parts made by other craftsmen at the time, a practice we see in Northern European and later American Gunsmithing.

This digital magazine (Catalogo Asta 49 Armi Antiche e Militaria - San Giorgio Aste) features more of Lazarino’s more ornate work alongside his contemporaries and other smiths of the same period in Italy. Note, the magazine is in Italian but there are English translations. Lazarino’s work is featured on page 266-267. The pistols on this page are also signed by gunsmith “Gio Betta Buccelleni” furthering the narrative that Lazarino worked with other smiths or craftspeople of the time.

Compared to some of the other ornate worked signed “Lazarino”, this blunderbuss is rather plain. The hinge itself is attached to the front of the butt stock and the rear of the main stock with an iron plate and a large screw. The hinge is a simple 3 knuckle assembly that is closed with a spring and catch similar to what we see in traditional patchboxes.

Thanks for sharing, and COOL video!

I've seen a repro folding stock on a repro officer's fusil. It was based on an original in a collection (somewhere...can't find the reference) and I know that helped with transportation especially aboard a ship. The "duckbill" type muzzle might have "fanned out" buckshot as it does with some modern shotgun muzzles BUT, I think that the Italians simply made it an oval instead of a circle, to allow a much better sighting along the barrel, which one does not get with an English blunderbuss. Thus you have a wide muzzle that facilitates loading, while you also get the ability to engage targets much farther away than the commonly found round funnel muzzle blunderbuss. ;)

Lazaro and Lazarino..., I think perhaps that's the Italian way of marking the piece what in English might have been Lazaro & Son. The "..., ino" variation, I was taught in Latin languages means "little", and is in some Latin based languages "..., ito". So the meaning would be "little Lazaro" aka Lazaro's son. That would fit perhaps with the differing engraving styles that you found on the hardware. But that info about the languages might be misinformation from my college days.

Although that blunderbuss is a good amount longer than Northwestern European blunderbuss..., why would one want to fold that stock? Could it be that the nickname "Assassino de Lupe" was a bit of a euphemism? While wolves were greatly reduced in Italy in the 19th century, wolves were in greater numbers than elsewhere in Europe, and didn't disappear from Sicily until WW2. So could that be a self defense weapon for use against highway men aka "wolves"? It would be easier to transport in the passenger portion of a closed coach, and when highwaymen appeared, grab it, deploy the stock, and have at 'em..., AND a duckbill muzzle was used in modern times not for hunting animals, but for anti-personnel applications.
🤔

LD

Last edited:
So could that be a self defense weapon for use against highway men, aka "wolves"? It would be easier to transport in the passenger portion of a closed coach, and when highwaymen appeared, grab it, deploy the stock, and have at 'em ..., AND a duckbill muzzle was used in modern times not for hunting animals, but for anti-personnel applications.
I agree with that ascertion!

Thanks for sharing, and COOL video!

I've seen a repro folding stock on a repro officer's fusil. It was based on an original in a collection (somewhere...can't find the reference) and I know that helped with transportation especially aboard a ship. The "duckbill" type muzzle might have "fanned out" buckshot as it does with some modern shotgun muzzles BUT, I think that the Italians simply made it an oval instead of a circle, to allow a much better sighting along the barrel, which one does not get with an English blunderbuss. Thus you have a wide muzzle that facilitates loading, while you also get the ability to engage targets much farther away than the commonly found round funnel muzzle blunderbuss. ;)

Lazaro and Lazarino..., I think perhaps that's the Italian way of marking the piece what in English might have been Lazaro & Son. The "..., ino" variation, I was taught in Latin languages means "little", and is in some Latin based languages "..., ito". So the meaning would be "little Lazaro" aka Lazaro's son. That would fit perhaps with the differing engraving styles that you found on the hardware. But that info about the languages might be misinformation from my college days.

Although that blunderbuss is a good amount longer than Northwestern European blunderbuss..., why would one want to fold that stock? Could it be that the nickname "Assassino de Lupe" was a bit of a euphemism? While wolves were greatly reduced in Italy in the 19th century, wolves were in greater numbers than elsewhere in Europe, and didn't disappear from Sicily until WW2. So could that be a self defense weapon for use against highway men aka "wolves"? It would be easier to transport in the passenger portion of a closed coach, and when highwaymen appeared, grab it, deploy the stock, and have at 'em..., AND a duckbill muzzle was used in modern times not for hunting animals, but for anti-personnel applications.
🤔

LD
Very interesting insight!! Thank you for sharing

Folding stocks were a fairly common feature of earlier Italian wheellock and snaphance arquebuses, which I assume is the beginning of this evolution.
Google translate struggled with translating the audio, but this lecture mentions how they were a popular choice for illegal concealed carry:

Here are some other early examples:
143a0e499ec5530d5aa59037098dcd0e.jpg

1EE1E918-C866-4A11-BE3E-65325CF33744.jpeg

E16175F0-73E6-4B6C-90C3-1C01BE6C3AB9.jpeg

Back