• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've never used synthetics before, but because it was so cheap ($9.99 lb) I picked up some Alliant Black MZ to try out in my cap lock rifles and haven't had a chance to do that yet. It is very coarse, I think even more coarse than 1f Goex. So coarse in fact that it looks like it would have a hard time settling down into the fire channel. Thought maybe some of y'all experienced with it might like to chime in.....Thanks...Jim

Yep It's like gravel... :haha:
I like it though, but it does meter hard.....it has extremely little fouling and is almost non-corrosive.
When I first started using it, I had to open up my nipple flash hole a little to get consistent ignition. Ultimately, I went back to real black powder.
But I love it for cartridge loading.

i use Black MZ powder almost exclusively. After the powder is loaded lean the gun lock side down and give the stock a couple whacks with the hand.

Black MZ likes a tight ball seated hard on the powder.

I've been using it for a good while now, and for cap lock rifles and pistols, it's great. According to manufacturer, it must be packed tight. It really works good in tiny calibers, like .32 and .36 because there is little or no fowling. It's also accurate. I won the last get together at our club, with a Douglas barrel .36 caliber, and 40 grains of Black MZ. That's almost like cheating.

9.99 a can, no fowling, accurate, what else can I day.

I use real black in my flintlocks.

Alliant Black MZ is made for in-line guns.

They don't have a fire channel to speak of. Rather the nipple is rarely over 1/8" from the powder charge so the hot gasses from the primer don't have a chance to cool off on their way to the powder.

Let us know how it shoots in your gun.

Thank you gentlemen for the input. I plan to try it first in my .40 cal that I'm having such a hard time finding the sweet spot for.....as soon as the monsoon season is over here in western Washington. We're having one of the wettest rainy seasons I've ever seen. I'll be sure to fill you guys in.

I use Black MZ in 2 green Mt. barrels, and 2 Thompson Center barrel and have had good luck with it. Cleans up nicely.

Black MZ is accurate, clean and I use it in traditional percussions as well as (DARE I SAY IT ON THIS FORUM)flintlocks! But the lock is primed with 4 F BP.

blackelm said:
Black MZ is accurate, clean and I use it in traditional percussions as well as (DARE I SAY IT ON THIS FORUM)flintlocks! But the lock is primed with 4 F BP.
I tried 4f in the pan and still got Ka....foof......boom. :idunno:

It has always amazed me to no end how two rifles that appear to be exactly the same can be so drastically different in how they perform with the exact same load components whether they be modern or ancient in design.

Latest posts

Back