• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder in horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody kaiser

32 Cal.
Reaction score
For all you hunters.. Is it ok to leave powder in your powder horn over a long period of time(the whole hunting season)? Or is the powder going to get moisture in it? Kinda of a stupid question.... I know :redface:

my horn is never totally empty ,with some added once a month for a range visit..I've never had a problem with any of the powder, and some must have been in the horn for at least 6 months.Hank

Keeping powder in the horn shouldn't be a problem as long as the horn is sealed well. Water/weather proof will keep your powder dry.

My horn is never empty on purpose. If your horn is airtight you won`t have a problem. You can check yours by emptying it out and blowing in the spout end. If air blows through it has a leak in the base plug somewhere. You can seal it up with glue if it does.

I wonder about that myself. I refill my horn when it gets half depleted, so in several of my horns possibly some of the powder near the butt may be 15 or 20 years old. Seems to still work.

I do shake it well before refilling.

I've always left powder in the horn, but as mentioned I go through the effort to make'm air tight.
I switched over to valves instead of plugs years ago, but plugs can be plenty tight.

If the butt plug leaks air it can be sealed by dribbling melted candle wax along the seam and rubbing it in. Beeswax is easier to work with than paraffin (softer). I'll even preheat the empty horn in the oven on low for awhile before puttin the wax on.

Sometimes there is poetry in the singular. :)
I have about 25 horns. :redface: Keeping powder in all of them is not practical.
I also see guys talking about their ramrod. Singular. I have about 30 rr and a bunch of blanks.
Where did I go wrong in this, supposedly, simple avocation? :idunno:
But, I digress.

SgtSchutzen said:
You can check yours by emptying it out and blowing in the spout end. If air blows through it has a leak in the base plug somewhere. You can seal it up with glue if it does.

Just don't breath in! :haha:

Get a good one and you only need one! Well, maybe two (FFg and FFFg). :rotf:

Having two is, like the Beach Boys said: "It wouldn't be right to leave your best girl home on a Saturday night."

I have one flintlock rifle. Two would be too much to carry. :grin:

I guess I should have said "the horn I use is never empty on Purpose" :grin: :wink:. Because I actually have three with a fourth under construction. My original plan was to have a separate horn for each of my rifles but found that I was always using just the one favorite one, so the other two just hang on the wall for decoration. :idunno: :haha:

Ole Coots here:
Had to lay my guns down about 11 years ago and left horns ( two ) with powder in them, one with xxx and one with xx, Just this past year my medical situation left me in shape to again use my BP arms. The horns were filled mostly full and turned to distribute and mix the old with new powder and I have not experienced one problem that I can say is the fault of the powder. The horns both have plugs but were tight. hope this can help answer some questions for some like me that never seem to know enough about our love affairs and are always ready to leard more.
BobS aka Coots

hunter3
From Ole coots here---My post went to SgtSchutzen but was really meant to at least let you know my experience with the old powder left in a horn. I hope I have not offended any one, if so, please forgive. As an addition I have an old old horn that belonged to my Grandfather and about 20 years ago, I fired his rifle with the old powder that had been in his horn at least 50-55 years at that time and everything went great.
BobS aka Ole Coots

I would agree with everyone else that it should be just fine if the horn is well sealed. I do empty mine back into the can each time as I only have one horn for "barrel" powder (I have a small priming horn that sits with 4F in it) and in my old age :wink: I tend to forget if I last had 3F or 2F or Goex or 777 in it, so I just empty it back in and start fresh with whatever powder I'm using on the day I go out and gun I'm using.

When I made my horn I put some of those moisture absorbing packs that come in pill bottles and shoe boxes before I sealed the horn. So far haven't had any problems with misfires.

Rev_William said:
When I made my horn I put some of those moisture absorbing packs that come in pill bottles and shoe boxes before I sealed the horn. So far haven't had any problems with misfires.

How long has this been?

I would think they would attract too much moisture over time and start adding it back in after a while. But I may be wrong.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

mostly for the season then empty out the horn. season runs oct 1st thru feb this yr i think. The horn is pretty well sealed i added it as a just in case.

All my horn's always have powder I add as needed, some haven't been emptied in over 10 to 15 years, just added to.

Back