• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

British hunter accessories?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How would an British hunter/gentleman of the late flintlock era have kitted himself out? Information on clothing would be good, but would he have used a powder horn or flask? Shooting bag or belt bag? Trying to establish not a persona but a practical and semi realistic kit for my in the works english sporting rifle.
Opinions are ok, but any descriptions, paintings etc. From the time period of say 1790s through to 1830 would be the best information.

Thank you

In jolly old England what is called "The Georgian Era" extended from about 1714 to 1837. That pretty much covers the flintlock hunting times in England. I think there were three or four King George's during that era.

Anyway, the right to hunt in England during those years was "limited to owners of land worth 100 pounds per year, lessees of land worth 150 pounds per year, the eldest son of squires or persons of higher degree, and the owners of franchises." So, it was only the wealthy who could hunt. They would have been well dressed and well equipped with the best firearms and accoutrements.

If you didn't fall into any of those categories, you didn't hunt. Although you might be a poacher. Poachers of the time mostly didn't own a firearm, and didn't want to make noise if they did, so they used silent snares and traps to take game animals. If they were caught it could mean death!

You might want to look up the Georgian Era to see the fashions of that time.

Following the Georgian Era came the Victorian Era. Queen Victoria reigned for a long time; 1837 until 1901.

1681996614829.png
1681996833943.png

Thats a snake belt in the last picture that Pietro shared just the same as depicted in the first and not a powder horn in case anyone is wondering

Last edited:
For the sporting rifle the snake belt is not an option for you. Shoulder bag and flask would be my recommendation at the most. The bag doesn't have to be large. You can also keep a tool roll in a pocket for an extra flint or two and a turnscrew to install them as well as re-edge. You could also use pockets for the other minimal loading gear and ditch the shoulder bag. You would not be on a frontier expedition so a lot of cleaning or maintenance gear is likely not carried.

width-340_E1fN9Zb.jpg

Your kit is not complete without a horn. A small "gameskeepers" horn is used to signal the start of the hunt, and the end of the hunt. Although a Gameskeeper is likely the one using it, I have read where a "shooter" of prestige would carry and use one to call back his beaters or drivers when he wanted to move to another spot. My Purdey rifle has a powder flask and a "ball cup". The ball cup is slightly tapered at the top and has a hole slightly bigger than the ball diameter. You pull a cork, turn it upside down and sometimes shake it slightly, and it dispenses one ball. There's a patch container that has a wood bottom and metal top, hinged and round. Two turnscrews fit every screw on the rifle precisely. There's a single ball bag mold. It is cased in wood with a "velvet" lining and has a case label. These are original accessories.

Notice the dogs in those pictures. Mainly spaniels, setters, and hounds. During the Georgian era not only were the common people not allowed to hunt, they were also not permitted to own "sporting dogs".

Back