• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn flaking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jppard

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just noticed on the end of one of my powder horns that its start to flake off. What do you recommend to put on the horn.

jppard

...end of one of my powder horns that its start to flake off.

That's real common in horns found in the hills, but not an issue (at least for a while) in a fresh horn. Just scrape down well past the flakes and proceed with a build. Of course you can't do that with one already built. The good news is that I've never had it happen again in flaked horns used for builds, but I always give them a dose of beeswax now and then as recommended by bud. You'll still get some flaking in the horn you have I bet even with the beeswax, unless you do a little careful scraping to get down past the flakes.

BTW- This slender steer horn was a field find, scraped clean of all flaking and built out of sentiment. Raunchy old steer knew exactly when the slaughter truck was coming with his name on it and would jump fences and light off into the hills for a few weeks. After a couple of years of that it got to be so funny we got attached to him and never tried again. He'd watch the truck come for another steer and just stand there chewing his cud. Got so big and old too, there was no sense butchering him for tough hamburger. He disappeared one night, never to return. Found him a couple of years later where he fell into a little draw and couldn't get out, so I had to make a horn from the flaked and weathered horn in his memory. That was over 20 years ago, and I still haven't seen another flake.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back