• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.C.BINGAMAN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All, Question for the horners I am currently awaiting delivery of a ANDREAS ALBRICHT inspired rifle not a exact copy but like the style and time period of the christian springs work.I have made all the necessary extras,rifle bag,ball pouch,(flint wallet)turn screw,powder measures,pan brush,vent pick ect. even done a hand made chain for these. In the past this has been done for the other flinters in the flock the exception being the powder horns which were bought or traded for.Attended the HORNERS show in CARLISLE PA.this past Saturday bought 2 raw polished horns,going to go the full monty on this one. Today began the lay out for the neck design drilled the pour hole (went slow and constant wall thickness checks)so far so good.Currently do not have the capability to do a screw neck.As I portray a hunter of the APPALACHIAN region 1756 time frame thought of a 7 years war style horn. Here is the question,Being not to rich and scratching out a living on the eastern frontier of south eastern Penna.into western Maryland and making my own equipment would the finished horn be scraped or sanded to finish. Been doing a lot of research on horn building and it seems no one has mentioned this.I currently do not have the SIBLEYS horn book,this may be in the wish list future.AN APPALACHIAN HUTER

Scraping would be fine, but filing would also be correct for the period. Now, wasn't that a "wishy washy" answer?
Remember, that there were factory made powder horns supplied to the trade industry, so filed horns could be available. I think a design with a single strap band carved in it and very little or no engraving was a common item of the time.

JMHO
Rick

Latest posts

Back