• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I decided to try to make a powder horn. I bought a horn at a local event and started watching YouTube. I ordered a carbide scribe to do all the carving work. I cut the horn about 1.5 inch from the end and drilled out the horn. To a scrap piece of oak and fit it to the end of the horn. Stained the wood. Then I removed a large section towards the tip. Not sure why but I seen a lot of pictures with it done and I like it. I found a few items I wanted to put on it. I used carbon paper to transpose it on the horn. Then I carved/scratched it in. I used sharpie marker for the ink. I'm not finished yet but I like how it's coming along. Let me know what you think. Any tip or advice is always welcome.

Attachments

• 20210823_223513.jpg
    20210823_223513.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210823_223500.jpg
    20210823_223500.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210823_223448.jpg
    20210823_223448.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210823_223435.jpg
    20210823_223435.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 80
nice, coming along nicely! i really like the blonde horns as you can thin them to the point you can see the powder level. to tired tonight to spell translucent. wow i got it right!
polish that band and it will really look great. Maybe a good platform for your name carved in relief?

nice, coming along nicely! i really like the blonde horns as you can thin them to the point you can see the powder level. to tired tonight to spell translucent. wow i got it right!
polish that band and it will really look great. Maybe a good platform for your name carved in relief?
My name is around the top spelled in runes. Thanks. You did better than me on translucent. I spelled it so bad spell check gave up on me.

took me 5 tries tonight! not only spell check gave up but so did i. that's when i spelled it correctly :doh:
here is my first attempt. it holds 1500 gr of fffg . enough for 20 shots.
Looks good. I like the decorations at the step down area. I may have to do the same. I think I am going to do another one after this. I find it oddly relaxing sitting in front of the TV just scribbing away.

Back