• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Flasks & Fishing Tackle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So for those looking for a historic reference to fishing tackle AND powder flasks, I offer this from 1772, London
ADVERTISEMENT FISHING TACKLE.JPG

The merchant offers "...,Artificial Flies, Mice, & etc. " So other lures besides flies were being used. I found that very interesting.

The ad does not mention "fishing reels" and I've been told that a reel in 1772 in England was thought to be an "unsporting, fish poacher's tool"..., so perhaps that is why. The ad does mention he sells a "Treatise on Angling", so I believe he sells rods for dappling and other "angling" techniques.

FYI What's old is new again, and 18th century "angling" was very similar in many ways to modern Tenkara fishing.

The merchant also sells powder flasks in "Metal, Tin, Leather, Horn, & etc, to any Pattern or Size, ..." so I think he's actually making or has access to a horn/flask maker. I wonder since he mentions flasks that are made from tin, and we know in the 19th century they were made out of stamped brass..., if he means brass when the ad lists "Metal" or if there are other metals that were used as well? One could make one out of copper, but I'd think that a bit pricey for the time. I wonder if the "Leather" flasks were hard leather..., which I would assume but assumptions are often in danger of error. He does not mention powder flasks being made of wood, but I suppose the " & etc." portion of the list of possible flask/horn materials may cover that. Supposition also can lead to problems, though.

LD

Thanks, I found that one. The reason I asked is that I had found it with a slightly different wording which had an assigned date of 1786.

Spence

The maker of the powder flasks for that period could have been flask maker by the name of Frith has Dixon and Hawksley were later, has for the leather ones which resembles horse hide .
Feltwad

Back