• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder behind the lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone for thinking and making suggestions for a fix. I am on the road for the next several days and will check out the recommendations when I get back.

If it were my gun, before I tried to "fix" anything I would get some accurate measurements. Use a dial caliper or a micrometer and learn why this mis-match exists. I would identify why, then do what needs to be done to fix it. Study the parts that fit properly then determine the difference between the parts that fit and the parts that don't fit. I would not cut or scrape or otherwise remove any wood or metal until I knew what I was doing and why...Good Shooting and Best Regards, Fuzzy Sites

I'll give you one more alternative. If you don't want to inlet the lock deeper, you have to make the lock fatter. I'd use a glob of either bedding epoxy or even soft solder on edge of the lock, then file it down to fill the gap. If you put the wider barrel back in, loosen the lock screws a turn or two and things should fit fine.

I bought a micrometer and measured the T/C Barrel and the Green Mountain barrel and found there is a difference in the dimensions of the barrels.
T/C barrel at the muzzle= 1.006” Breech plug=1.001” 1-1/2” ahead of breech plug= 0.997” 6” ahead of breech plug= 1.001”
GM barrel at the muzzle= 0.998” Breech plug= 0.977” 1-1/2” ahead of breech plug=0.985” 6” ahead of breech plug=0.996”
There is no discernible gap between the T/C barrel and pan when it is mounted in the stock. There is a gap between the GM barrel and the pan when it is mounted in the stock. According to my measurements the gap on the GM barrel and the pan is between 0.024” and 0.012” for an average of 0.018”. So the question is with these measurements, is the best solution to deepen the inlet for the lock or fill the gap so I can still have the option to use either barrel? Or is this now strictly my .62 cal. Flintlock gun?
Oh and by the way there is on one side of the breech plug that does not match the barrel. When measuring in that dimension it is 0.997”. It appears the breech plug was machined down to match the barrel and someone neglected to machine down one side of the breech plug. This barrel was new in the box to me from another person, but it appears it may have been a “second”
Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.

You may try making a shim to fill the gap between the lock and barrel. The aluminum from a beverage can might be a good material for this.

Mike Brooks said:
I'd inlet the lock properly so the lock bolster lies properly against the barrel.

Oh come now, this makes too much sense.

Gotta do the Rube Goldburg stuff first, like maybe duct tape and then hope it does not leak enough powder to blow the lock mortise.

Dan

Back