• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible degredation of lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grinding lock bolts that are a little too long is okay and something I've done more than once. And a flint lock only needs one lockbolt anyway. SMR normally have only one lock bolt. A percussion lock does well with two lock bolts but unlike a flint the "hammer" hits off the actual lock while a flint lock only strikes itself.

I have a new build on the bench just now. The wire I use for pins measures .071. The drill bit measures .071 , but wood is soft , and bits make sloppy holes. Wood never shrinks uniformly to grip each pin , so sometimes Pins fall out. That's why bees make honey , so the frontier was blessed with wax to use for a myriad of uses. One of which is to keep barrel pins in place. Loose pins going through the barrel pinning loops , are a good thing , so the barrel can work longitudinally when fired. By the time a build is concluded , the barrel pins are in and out many times making the pin holes wear loose. Generally if the stock finish doesn't hold the pins in place well , at the end of build , some spare pin stock goes with the gun , and a piece of bee's wax as well. ...................oldwood

Looks like a welded over drill hole. Probably didn’t like the initial spot of the drilling, and tried to correct with either a tig weld or an end mill bit that chewed it up.

I like the lock bolts flush with the plate
Grinding lock bolts that are a little too long is okay and something I've done more than once.

Yeah, I pulled the lock-bolts and filed them down some. Now they are flush with the lock-plate when the heads are snug to the side-plate.

Everything looks better, and I "feel" better knowing that the frizzen-spring and cock have some clearance from the protruding bolt-ends

Back