• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor penetration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, let me get this correct---You were shooting at a target and HIT a 2x4 wood frame and the ball came bouncing back right at you?!?

OMG! Wow. Sounds like mighty springy wood to me!

And yes 30 grains of powder is way low. So low the ball didn't even penetrate the wood, just bounced off like a marble thrown by hand!

Well, I am not sure about springy - just regular old pressure treated yellow pine 2 X 4.

Manufacturer/importer thought the poor penetration was caused by me using a .600 bare ball with card wad - perhaps not getting enough of a seal so recommended a .570 with a patch - made no different except for the size of the dent diameter - and a bit deeper indention in the wood.

Pedersoli's Loading tables recomend 25gr to a Max of 35gr for their Smoothbore .69 AnIX and AnXII Pistols...I imagine they're talking Swiss Powder...

E

I shoot a patched .570 in my 58 cal harper's ferry! Man that "manufacturer" is giving you poop for advise. Shoot a patched .590 ball in that 60 caliber. And 37 Grains. plus.

"...using a .600 bare ball with card wad"

I believe you'll get a bit more bang if you use a patched round ball. That's my experience anyway.

I reccomend to customers a 35 gr. starting load for accuracy and work up from there if needed. Our trade pistols will handle 80 grains of powder as they are as stout as some long gun barrels. Problem is hanging on when you pull the triger on a hand gun with a 325 gr round ball and 80 gr. of powder. The report will attract attention too.

Laffindawg;

Believe me if a grizz or wolf is chomping on my the least of my worries would be whether I could hold on to the pistol or how loud it was :blah:

in response to KHickam
I have a 50 cal.I'll call it a Tenn Pistol with 16" barrel that I built from spare parts I shoot 40 grns FF black powder and round ball very pleasant to shoot and very accurate, could handle heavier charge but can only burn so much powder in the barrel lenght. Shifty

The ridulously low recommended powder charge can be explained in one word - "LIABILITY" . I even know of one custom gun builder (full-time / high quality) who recommends a maximum charge of 15 grains of 3f in his .36 flint Kentucky pistols. Start at about 45 gr. in your .62 and go up from there. Some of the suggested powder charges from manufacturers, especially the Italians, are laughable. Let common sense be your guide and have fun. -Smoothshooter

I got smacked in the chest with a .38 special bullet which bounced off a dead oak limb. Standard Remington factory loaded 158 grain lead roundnose, and that DID hurt but didn't break the skin. I agree with others who have said 30 grains is a really puny charge for a .60 caliber, I wouldn't be a bit concerned about shooting 50 grains.
The closest parallel I could find for pressure tested data was from the old first edition Lyman BP Handbook. They list a 20 gauge (.62 caliber) with 7/8 ounce of shot and a starting load of 68 grains 2f as producing only 4,660 lead units of pressure while the heaviest loads tested in that barrel went nearly 7,000 LUP. So I would extrapolate that 50 grains with a ball in your pistol will likely produce less than 4,000 PSI and any barrel should hold that OK, unless the breechplug was just pressed in with no threads at all. Of course that could be the case. :haha:

SELECTING A BLACK POWDER
USE BLACK POWDER AND NOTHING ELSE IN ANY MUZZLE LOADING REVOLVER.

.31 CAL. COLT AND REMINGTON 13 GRAINS FFFg
.36 CAL. NAVY AND ARMY STYLE 15 TO 22 GRAINS FFFg
.44 CAL. NAVY AND ARMY STYLES 20 TO 30 GRAINS FFFg
.58 CAL. MUSKETS 60 GRAINS FFFg
.69 CAL. MUSKETS 60 GRAINS FFFg

FOR PISTOL REVOLVERS ONLY
When loading a cylinder with a ball a small ring of lead should shear from the side of the ball when depressed into the cylinder. If it does not the ball is too small.
SUGGESTED SIZES FOR REVOLVERS.
.31 CAL. .315 BALL
.36 CAL. .375 BALL
.44 CAL. .451 BALL

BALL SIZES FOR MUSKET
.58 CAL. .577 MINNIE BALL
.69 CAL. .678 ROUND BALL WITH A .010 PATCH
.69 CAL. .691 MINNIE BALL

SELECTING PERCUSSION CAPS
No. 11 percussion caps are most common for all pistols and Kentucky style rifles. Winged musket caps are used for all muskets and sharps.

Back