• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Point blank?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norskie

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've heard that the term 'point blank' comes from elevation of the piece in cannoneering. If this is so, were there other 'points' used? Were they numerical; e.g. 'point one' and so forth?
I write fiction and might need this for verisimilitude (a fancy word for a convincing lie).
Moose

Wikipedia has an interesting and convincing explanation of the origin of the term.

The wiki article is good, but it doesn't go deep enough. I guess my question is more linguistic than historical. It's nice to know they were calling it 'point blank primitive' but this just raises more questions. 'Primitive'? What dey mean, 'primitive'?
If the term comes from the French, then 'blank' may mean 'white'. If from English, it may mean 'zero'(although I would expect it to be 'point naught', if that were the case. :hmm: )
Thanks for the lead, folks. I'll report back on this if'n I find any more info.
Moose

LeatherMoose said:
The wiki article is good, but it doesn't go deep enough. I guess my question is more linguistic than historical. It's nice to know they were calling it 'point blank primitive' but this just raises more questions. 'Primitive'? What dey mean, 'primitive'?
If the term comes from the French, then 'blank' may mean 'white'. If from English, it may mean 'zero'(although I would expect it to be 'point naught', if that were the case. :hmm: )
Thanks for the lead, folks. I'll report back on this if'n I find any more info.
Moose
Hope this help.

Top Web Results for "primitive"

10 results for: primitive
View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | All Reference | the Web
[url] Dictionary.com[/url] Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
prim·i·tive /ˈprɪmɪtɪv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prim-i-tiv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
”“adjective 1. being the first or earliest of the kind or in existence, esp. in an early age of the world: primitive forms of life.
2. early in the history of the world or of humankind.
3. characteristic of early ages or of an early state of human development: primitive toolmaking.
4. Anthropology. of or pertaining to a preliterate or tribal people having cultural or physical similarities with their early ancestors: no longer in technical use.
5. unaffected or little affected by civilizing influences; uncivilized; savage: primitive passions.
6. being in its earliest period; early: the primitive phase of the history of a town.
7. old-fashioned: primitive ideas and habits.
8. simple; unsophisticated: a primitive farm implement.
9. crude; unrefined: primitive living conditions.
10. Linguistics. a. of or pertaining to a form from which a word or other linguistic form is derived; not derivative; original or radical.
b. of or pertaining to a protolanguage.
c. of or pertaining to a linguistic prime.

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a reference to 'point blank' in an old dictionary. The word 'blank' evidently did link up to French for 'white'. The reference was from English archery; the white was the center of the archery target. This may date to when Norman French was being blended into English.
Moose

Back