• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plum Brown Over LMF

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_AK

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The finish on my GPR barrel was not even after using LMF despite 8 applications. I noticed after browning the rear sight in place with Birchwood Casey Plum Brown that the area where it overlapped the LMF on the barrel looked pretty good. I went ahead and used plum brown over the LMF on the entire barrel and it really evened out the finish.

Sounds like an idea. :)

Usually the mild streaks after using even 4 applications of LMF browning solution will even out after the oil coat is added.

Even Plum Brown will look pretty crummy until a oil is applied and left to rest for 24 hours.
That usually evens the looks out.

Slightly :eek:ff Works pretty good as a nitrating solution for combustible paper cartridges also.

Browning does take time to learn, as with all other aspects of rifle building. The good news, if it doesn’t turn out to meet your expectations you can always sand (all or specific problem areas and start over until you get the quality you are after.

Mark B

Actually I am really pleased with the Plum Brown over the LMF. Next rifle I will try something a little more challenging, perhaps a Pecatonica Hawken. The only thing I will do different with the LMF is putting a fan in the bathroom along with the shower and humidifier. I have come to the conclusion that the irregularities in the LMF finish were due to moisture collecting on the barrel. I figure the fan will fix that.

Mike, I came to the same conclusion with my first rust browning attempt. I used a vaporizer in my spare bathroom, and if it got so humid that the parts started forming beads of water, it seemed to dilute the solution and wash away the rust in spots. If water was running down the bathroom mirror, it was accumulating too heavy on the parts. I found that leaving the vaporizer on for about 15 minutes, then turning it off and leaving the room with the door shut for a couple of hours was about the right humidity for an even coverage. I think the fan is a good idea and will try that next time. Bill

Back