• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust bluing with LMF browning solution ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
So I've used LMF to brown barrels with good results and Now I'm using it to rust blue a barrel. I am following the instructions to the letter; wipe on a coat, let sit till it got a light orange ting of rust (about 20 hrs at 55% to 60 % humidity), applied a second coat, let sit for 8 hrs, no much change in color, then boil in distilled water. It worked and turned a deep blue/black color but when I carded it with wet denim almost all the black came off and left the barrel a light grey color.

Do I need to let it build up more rust before boiling or move to a more humid location ? How many coats does it usually take ? When I browned with it it took only 4 coats to get a deep dark brown finish, but humidity was a bit higher. Can you boil a browned barrel to blue/black or does it have to be boiled after each coat ? I may need to get more distilled water as I understand fresh clean water is needed for each boiling. -Thanks

Just keep repeating the process. It will turn darker with each coat. When you get to the color you like, stop. I boil after each application, but some people only boil one time. I reuse the distilled water. You can use the water from a dehumidifier as well.

So I've used LMF to brown barrels with good results and Now I'm using it to rust blue a barrel. I am following the instructions to the letter; wipe on a coat, let sit till it got a light orange ting of rust (about 20 hrs at 55% to 60 % humidity), applied a second coat, let sit for 8 hrs, no much change in color, then boil in distilled water. It worked and turned a deep blue/black color but when I carded it with wet denim almost all the black came off and left the barrel a light grey color.

Do I need to let it build up more rust before boiling or move to a more humid location ? How many coats does it usually take ? When I browned with it it took only 4 coats to get a deep dark brown finish, but humidity was a bit higher. Can you boil a browned barrel to blue/black or does it have to be boiled after each coat ? I may need to get more distilled water as I understand fresh clean water is needed for each boiling. -Thanks
Don't worry too much about the copper color. Keep applying coats and hang in the bathroom with the hot shower on. It will get an even coat of rust. Card it down or leave it depending on the surface finish you are after. When you reach the desired finish, scrub with baking soda and rinse with water. Then boil in distilled water to blue. Wipe down with oil after removing from boiling water while still hot. Should leave a nice deep blue color.

Thanks guys, I move it to the small bathroom with an inch of hot water in the tub. Got humidity up to around 70% and after about 4 hrs I had a good uniform coating of rust that after boiling and carding is getting darker and deeper. A few more coats should do it.

Don't worry too much about the copper color. Keep applying coats,,,
Wow, the stuff never worked well for me when I over-applied and got the copper color.
Always lended to a very un-even rust formation,,
Lot's of carding with wet course canvas once the rust starts too help continue the even formation,,
Then carding with a rinse before the hot water dip,,
That's how I've found the blue,,

Wow, the stuff never worked well for me when I over-applied and got the copper color.
Always lended to a very un-even rust formation,,
Lot's of carding with wet course canvas once the rust starts too help continue the even formation,,
Then carding with a rinse before the hot water dip,,
That's how I've found the blue,,
I usually don't go for the blue look. I like the rust brown look. But, I've never had an issue with a little copper color as the next coats always cover it up. Hanging items in a hot steamy bathroom really helps the process.

Got it soaking in oil right now. I am pleased with the results, it gave me a somewhat "antiqued " looking finish, Smooth with a blue /black hue with the slightest hint of purple brown in direct sun light. This is what I was hoping for; I didn't want something that looked spray painted matte black or a deep black glossy look, like a modern gun. I carded often with wet denim and this produced a much smoother finish than the more matte/satin finish on the barrel I browned last year. My OCD can see some light streaking in full sunlight, but that's more me just trying to find imperfections, which I believe gives it a little character to this type of gun, along with the rubbed blackend brass parts. When my daughter stops by I'll have her take some pictures to post. Thanks for all the advice.

LMF has worked well for me. I got a little copper color during the rusting, but it was not a major problem. The rust blue is holding up much better around the flash hole than the cold blue on my first rifle.
Big Red 49.jpg

Kyron - Looking forward to seeing pics of your barrel,

Well, here she is; I'm very pleased with the results. Just the right amount of sheen and color I was going for, plus has almost a slight patina to it in certain light. Again, if you look close in bright light you do see some slight streaks and blotchiness, but this is me just being picky . I believe this is four coats, boiled after each carding. The ramrod thimbles ( from a CVA Mountain rifle) are brass and anodized black so they don't match 100%. May turn some down on a lathe from steel to match barrel. Now to start working on the stock. Carry on.

GEDC1534.JPG

GEDC1539.JPG

GEDC1533.JPG

Latest posts

Back