• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plastic Stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gray Beard

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought that I'd get a little modern. I bought a CVA Bobcat 28" with a plastic stock. Is there a product out there for mounting sling swivels to this chunk of plastic? The inner side of the forearm is recessed, suggesting that a screw/ bolt arrangement might be used.

"with a plastic stock" !!

Gol dang! Whats this here world a commin ta?

Sorry, I was jus a takin back with that one.

Ye can probably mount sum o' Uncle Mikes swivels or somethin thats similar usin' the screws like ye was a sayin. I would put some Epoxy around the nut on the inside of the forarm an' figger on tryin to get a lot of it in the hole that ye will hav' ta drill in the butt. Coat the threads on the butt screw with a lot of it to before ye screw it in.
The Epoxy may not stick ta the plastic but if'n it forms a blob on the inside o' tha stock the blob will hold the screw.

Iff'n it falls off when yer out thar in the woods dont go a blamin' me. Jus say ta yerself "Plastic Stock.....Plastic Stock.... Plas........."
grin.gif

Just take a 1/4 inch drill bit and bore a hole through the side of the stock at the butt and forearm, Hell, it's only a plastic stock...

Just kidding...
rolleyes.gif
(no hate mail please)

OK, I have epoxied plastic to metal before on other things, so it'll work fine.

I think it is call Uncle Mike sling, it just laces to the butt the other end has an ajustable loop that can go around the barrel, if the sight is high enough or around the ram rod. If you can find a picture of one they are easy to make.

Thank-you, folks, for your replies. The leather sling was a cool idea, but I wrote to CVA and they have sling studs that they sell for that gun. (CVA Bobcat). If anyone is interested, The rear stud screws into the stock and the front stud is held in by a nut. The cost of the studs is $4.50 plus $3.50 shipping and handling. The helpful gentleman at CVA may be reached at [email protected]. Thanks again for your suggestions. The black plastic stock may make a good canoe paddle in a pinch!
tongue.gif

Quote " The black plastic stock may make a good canoe paddle in a pinch! " or it may save yur life!

As I recall it makes a nice black cloud o smoke fer the search plane to see when ye get yerself lost out in the woods! A whole lot better cloud 'an some clean burnen walnut or maple would.

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
"with a plastic stock" !!
Gol dang! Whats this here world a commin ta?
"Nothing shows poor craftsmanship like lumpy duct tape."
grin.gif

A plastic stock ot a multi-lamented one, there's a tough choice to make at three in the morning...
rolleyes.gif

..50 Cal Bobcat Percussion PR4102 $104.95
..50 Cal Bobcat Percussion (wood stock) PR4112 $127.95

For $23.00 more, you could have had a real wooden paddle...
grin.gif

Thanks, 'zonie, for the fire startin' idea! The butt stock is hollow, so I'm thinkin' maybe hide some matches, dry tinder, jerky, and a space blanket. I think that the extra weight will give it more balance. I might not be able to use it for an canoe paddle, though. Oh, by the way, I bought this gun at a store in my area called Fleet Farm. I only paid $61 bucks! After a little site adjustments, I was hittin' in there pretty good. I hate to do it to the 'ol girl, but I may just leave Maple at home and take my new girlfriend out next year deer hunting. She sure is a straight shooter!
smile.gif

Another advantage to the plastic stock, if you were using a $2'000+ custom made muzzleloader, would you want to drag it out into the rain, snow and mud?

Hunting can get gritty at times, if a plastic stock gets wet, who cares? Just whipe it off and continue hunting... (that may have been the concept behind the M-16's plastic stocks and jungle warfare)

quote:"... take my new girlfriend out next year deer hunting. She sure is a straight shooter! [[Smile]] " All kidding about plastic stocks aside, for that price you can't go too wrong.
Besides, it's one more black powder gun out there providing fun to the shooting population and might get someone else interested in trying black powder shooting. We can use all the friends we can get.

quote:Graybeard: "...The butt stock is hollow, so I'm thinkin' maybe hide some matches, dry tinder, jerky, and a space blanket." Iffen ye put am matches in thar make sure em are Safetee-Matches what won't lite by emselves.

I can jus picture the look on yer face after droppin yer gun when all at once a great clowd o smoke comes a bellowing outter yer stock an the gun goes up with a Poof. Then am search plane boys point at the cloud o black smoke an proceed ta rescue ye when ye don't even need a rescuing. On tuther hand, it might be good to be rescued rather than spending the rest o yer hunt a walkin around wit a barrel with a few blobs o melted plastic a hangin down from it.
grin.gif

No, at least I wasn't thinking of a laminated stock when I was responding to the post.

The laminated wood stocks are just that. They are boards glued together. That makes them strong (something like plywood with the grain all running in the same direction) and gives them their banded appearance.

The "plastic" stocks being discussed here are an inexpensive version of what Remington (in your link) is using and calling composites.

The Composites are very special plastics with solids like fiberglas or Carbon-Carbon bonded or molded into it. They are usually very stable, strong, expensive and VERY untraditional for traditional style Black Powder Guns but they are popular on expensive In-lines.

Several companies have developed injection molded plastics (without the additional solids) which look like composites. They do not have the strength or the stability of composites but they are INEXPENSIVE (read cheap)! This makes them prime candidates for Inexpensive guns including Muzzle Loaders (both In-lines and traditional style. They are most definitly NOT traditional for sidelock style guns.

Hope this answers your question.

Back