• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing camo from synthetic stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechMoron

Blue Ridge Mtn. Hillbilly
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Not exactly a "build" question but I have a TC Tree Hawk that if I don't sell it, I'd like to remove the fugly camo paint from it. I can handle the metal parts but don't want to try anything on the stock that might leave me with a lump of melted plastic. And it's for sure I ain't about to try to sand it. I've seen what that turns out looking like.

So, any and all help/suggestions/hints/whatever will be greatly appreciated.

Depending on how well the current paint was applied, it might be easier to paint over it. Or look into one of those dip wraps.

The factory TC dip wrap is what I'm wanting gone. And I sure don't want to add paint.

Soaking in a mild lye solution should soften the paint (assuming it is paint) so it can be removed with a toothbrush. Even Purple Power spray is strong enough if soaked for several days. Note that ABS plastic has only a "fair" resistance to sodium hydroxide solutions, however, with similar potassium hydroxide solution, it has an "excellent" rating.

I had bought a .22 semi auto rifle several years ago. I got it for dirt cheap because the previous owner had rattle can spray painted it brown. I used simple paint stripper I got at the hardware store. I used the CitrusStrip brand label stripper gel. Heck I still have a 2/3 jug of the stuff left over too. Anyway it peeled off or stripped off the paint fromm the plastic stock really nicely. It turned a crummy looking rifle where the paint was falling off and not sticking back into its nice original black color. Do test of a small section at first to make sure. One issue is if they used some space age type of paint is that nothing may affect the paint. You would have to sand it off.

The factory TC dip wrap is what I'm wanting gone. And I sure don't want to add paint.
Google "how to remove hydrodipping" and look for a thread on AR15 dot com, it talks about removing hydrodip from plastic parts.

Acetone removes the film, and the base coat with some work, but you might not be happy with the resulting finish. You might end up painting it a solid color. Which is what I would do, with air-cure cerekote, without bothering to remove the hydrodip first. Just degrease well, scuff it up with a scotch-brite pad, tack rag it, wipe it down with denatured alcohol, and shoot it with air-cure cerakote.

On aside, TC tree hawk, grey hawk, and new englander stocks are all interchangeable. Right now there is a black TC grey hawk stock on eBay for $45 bucks.

That's the route I would take and not bother with all the work.

Not wanting to buy any extra parts just yet but, this is an option I've considered if my paint removal don't go so good and I end up with a handful of melted plastic. LOL.

Yeah, I know. Not exactly a "build" question but I have a TC Tree Hawk that if I don't sell it, I'd like to remove the fugly camo paint from it. I can handle the metal parts but don't want to try anything on the stock that might leave me with a lump of melted plastic. And it's for sure I ain't about to try to sand it. I've seen what that turns out looking like.

So, any and all help/suggestions/hints/whatever will be greatly appreciated.
i REFINISHED ONE SEVERAL YEARS AGO IN PINK FOR MY NIECE IN LAW AND THEN ADDED A DRAWING OF THE CARTOON CHARACTER CHILLY WILLY SHE LOVED IT

I want to REMOVE paint, not add it.
Yeah, but it's not "paint" and you'll never get that hydrodip and it's undercoat off in a manner that will leave the composite stock looking good.
When that stock was made it wasn't a high luster finish, compounds in the plastic are added to aid adhesion in the next step they used to finish it..
I spent 26yrs in the plastics industry,,
You go ahead and strip that stuff off in what ever manner you choose. Chemicals and rubbing or whatever,,
Your not going to be happy with the results of your efforts.
A rattle can of flat black will do just fine, 😇

If I end up having to paint it later on, if I end up replacing it later on, so be it. But I have to say, the negativity and doomsday prophesizing here are underwhelming and uninspiring. I know plastic stocks are not anybody's norm on this forum. They're not mine either. But it is what it is & it's what I have to work with. Thought there'd be a modicum of support and maybe a suggestion or two. What I get for thinking I guess.

Yeah, but it's not "paint" and you'll never get that hydrodip and it's undercoat off in a manner that will leave the composite stock looking good.
When that stock was made it wasn't a high luster finish, compounds in the plastic are added to aid adhesion in the next step they used to finish it..
I spent 26yrs in the plastics industry,,
You go ahead and strip that stuff off in what ever manner you choose. Chemicals and rubbing or whatever,,
Your not going to be happy with the results of your efforts.
A rattle can of flat black will do just fine, 😇
I respectfully suggest you heed necchi’s advice. It may not be what you want to hear but it is probably the most informative and accurate you will find.

Good luck in your efforts.

If I end up having to paint it later on, if I end up replacing it later on, so be it. But I have to say, the negativity and doomsday prophesizing here are underwhelming and uninspiring. I know plastic stocks are not anybody's norm on this forum. They're not mine either. But it is what it is & it's what I have to work with. Thought there'd be a modicum of support and maybe a suggestion or two. What I get for thinking I guess.
Well, pilgrim....

You asked us for advice and "how did it turn out". You tapped into expertise here that you don't possess yourself. Then, have the brass nads to not like what you received from that expertise that you don't possess.

That's not how you get help, here........

You infact did get a suggestion or two. Suggestions that make perfect sense among those that possess the expertise, among those that have worked with just what you're trying to work with.

Like it, or don't, you're choice......

There's an old saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Back