• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plains Rifle Fun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I finally shot my Lyman GPR percussion .54 today down in the crik:

20170311_155424_1.jpg

I couldn't believe how fun!! It was my first time loading with pouch and horn, and I really enjoyed it! I had no misfires in the 10 shots I fired and was using 100 grains of Goex 3Fg with Hornady .530 balls and .010" Ox-Yoke lubed patches. It was nasty weather out and my hands were getting real cold otherwise I would've kept going! Got her all cleaned up now and ready for more shooting later this week when it warms up a bit.

Thanks to all for the many tips and help you guys have given me in choosing this rifle and with my shooting supplies.

Take care guys and happy shooting!! :thumbsup:

Smokey

Forgot to mention, I added some layers of Birchwood Casey tru-oil to the stock. It really added a ton of beauty and smoothed it out nicely, it came looking very dried out and I think the tru-oil would be a great thing for anyone with a factory GPR.

Later on this afternoon I'm going to see where it's hitting on paper and try some different loads out. I know I shouldn't expect best accuracy until the bore breaks in after 100 shots or so. I'll mainly be plinking but also want to see if I got the rear sight in the right spot in the dovetail.

Boy is it ever fun "pouching it"!! I usually load from a table and box, but loading from my pouch and horn has proven to be really cool!

I also might get a Davis deerslayer trigger for the gun and I've heard there are some better nipples out there so might get one of those. I am also glad my offset hammer that doesn't strike the nipple centered on has not proven to cause any vexations. It seems my Remington #10 caps worked nicely on it.

Guys I shot it again today!! 13 shots. Again, no misfires. Was shooting at a paper target and it appears I'll need to move the rear sight over, but it grouped well.

Right now I'm just breaking in the rifling and the crown, seems pretty sharp. Curiously I was unable to find any patches on the ground to check for blow bys and tears.

So far I am THRILLED with the rifle and also the accoutrements I've gotten for it. Once I get her all settled down and work on load development to get a good hunting load, I'll be hitting the deer fields and the boar fields this fall! :)

Your GPR looks great! When I had mine I hunted with 100 gr load and did offhand practice with 60 gr 3f. They are accurate rifles. :thumbsup:

If I was loading your gun I would use about 70 grains of powder.

Not only will the gun shoot nicely with this load but, when compaired with the 100 grain load your using now, you will get the powder for the 4th shot for free with some powder left over. :grin:

3 shots @ 100 grains = 300 grains

3 shots @ 70 grains = 210 grains.

4 shots @ 70 grains = 280 grains

If I was loading your gun I would use about 70 grains of powder.

Not only will the gun shoot nicely with this load but, when compared with the 100 grain load your using now, you will get the powder for the 4th shot for free with some powder left over. :grin:

3 shots @ 100 grains = 300 grains

3 shots @ 70 grains = 210 grains.

4 shots @ 70 grains = 280 grains

Patches are hard to find sometimes. I usually find mine about 12-15 feet out. I'd lower my powder charge too. I'm not a fan of heavy charges and it's usually not needed, in fact most will do better with not so heavy charges so why waste powder but it's a do your own thing game. Shoot and have fun doing it.

I hope you would try about 80 grains of 2f. It should be a nice easy load to shoot. Even though your rifle weights about 10 lbs with 100 grains of 3f it has quite a kick.

Michael

When I had a GPR in .50cal 70 grains FFFG was the magic number for mine. I could hit a gnats arse at 100 yards all day long with it. Enjoy they are great rifles.

what till you go hunting. getting a deer with it will be more satisfying than getting one with one of them thar copper bottle shooters. you have to get within 100 yards or less.

Yes! It did kick rather badly at times! Don't tell anyone but I did try a 120 grain load of 3Fg yesterday! Very loud with much recoil!! Even blew the hammer back to half cock!! :redface: Won't be doing that one anymore for sure.

Glad to hear you won't be doing that again.

With a hammer blowing back to half cock it is telling you the breech pressure is very high.

Blowing the hammer back to full cock is telling you your standing on thin ice and your about to fall thru. :(

Back