• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plains Pistol Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroncaTAL

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a question for those who have built the Lyman Plains Pistol. I'm putting together one of these and the tang bolt does not engage the threaded recess on the trigger assembly. It acts like the hole drilled through the stock is slightly missaligned, just enough to keep the threads on the bolt from going into the trigger assembly. Have any of you found this problem with your kits?

I did email the Lyman tech support, detailed the problem and suspected cause and received this reply:

"the threads could be an issue our tang bolt theads into a seperat nut inbedded into the stock. the tang bolt does NOT thread into or trigger assemblys on any of our guns. it would be best to check that nut inside the stock"

This is copied directly from their email, the spelling and punctuation is theirs. :shocked2:

On the GPR yes, the tang bolt screws into a nut in the stock, but not on this pistol. The trigger assembly has a threaded recess for the bolt. I can't believe that they do not know their own guns... :shake: I sent them some pictures of the trigger, bolt and stock from my kit. Maybe they will pull out the exploded diagrams of the pistol too.
Scott

I have a Plains Pistol. It was not a kit. However, I have taken it apart for thorough cleaning and you are correct. The tang bolt does go into the trigger assembly. You can even see it in the Lyman diagram. I highlighted the lines in red showing that it does...

PPDiagram.jpg

Maybe you could just enlarge the hole a tad to help you line it up.

HD

I had that problem when I built mine. I ended up having to move the trigger assembly a little back to get it to line up and cutting any wood out of the way that would keep the lock from not being engaged by the trigger.

My trigger guard was also the worst casted part I had ever seen on a gun kit. Took longer to shape that than the stock.

Is the tang bent by chance? If it could be bent slightly then that may allow it to be lined up properly. This is where you get a bolt in the same thread size and use that instead of the one that came with the kit. Usually 10-32 2 1/2" should do the job nicely, dont really care about the head but socket heads work quite well.

Isn't it amazing? The exploded diagram clearly shows it yet their "Customer" service doesn't know their products. :shake:
My thought was to relieve the hole a bit so the bolt would engage, but I wanted to see what Lyman said.
Scott

The tang isn't bent, it has a good fit into the stock. I might try bending the tang bolt a tad; won't matter as Lyman is sending a new bolt to me.
Scott

The trigger guard wasn't that bad on mine. I used my dremmel to take off the casting, should polish up no problem...
Scott

I haven't seen the wording of your email to Lyman, but it's possible their CS rep misread it to think you were inquiring about a GP Rifle instead of the pistol. Perhaps they just misunderstood which product was in question, rather than not knowing how their products are designed. Just a possibility.

I had a similar problem with my GP Rifle kit, in that the tang bolt would not start in the embedded nut. I had to move the tang and barrel back 1/16" to get it to work. You might have to do the same sort of thing with the trigger assembly as suggested above. Just part of building a kit.

I received another email today, and yes, they misread my first email. They confirmed that I may have to open up the drilled hole for the tang bolt slightly, which is what my solution was. And yes, I know that is part of building, but I was interested to hear what their customer service said...

Scott

Certainly try that first, it is usually the remedy and much easier than bending any of the metal or moving/reinletting parts.

Back