• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pitting where powder charge sits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There appears to be pitting in the chamber area of my .45 cal Kentucky rifle. Is this something that can be addressed? I’m considering shortening this rifles barrel anyway, so I’m curious if I could kill two birds with one stone. Can the breech plug and nipple drum be moved forward on a rifle barrel? It’s a CVA barrel so there’s no apparent taper to it. In a previous post I’ve said I’m wanting to make this shorter for a handy kids rifle, and the pitting also makes me want to be sure it’s safe for him. Bore is shiny and clean still above the affected area.

I have a original 1843 half stock .35 caliber percussion gun that the breech area where the powder sits is severely corroded. I couldn't get the gun to hit a 8.5 X 11" paper at 25 yards as the patches were shredding. I found that if I put a 1/8" felt wad over the powder, then seated the patched ball the accuracy improved tremendously (1.5" @ 25 yards) Patches came out whole and not shredded, Give it a try, it may be the easiest solution to the issue.

if you shorten that CVA from the breach, you will also have to move the wedge tenons .
most certainly be done. had to do it to a CVA mountain rifle after someone mauled the breach plug and drum. 20230621_153330.jpg20230621_153650.jpg

Last edited:
Without photos or a better description of the problems being caused by the pitting it’s hard to say on whether to cut the breech or not. And, as said, shortening will lead to a number of other mods required. Unless the pitting is grabbing your cleaning jag and patches and pulling them off or getting the jag stuck I’d just leave well enough alone. Just shoot and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back