• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pipe Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work, I also ordered the same kit and am almost complete. I am eagr to compare finished prodjects. :grin: I will soon post pics of it. I especially like the file work.
P.S. Is that a voilin tuning key :wink:

Honkey said:
That is very nice. Thanks for sharing. What is it destined to be?? Mostly decorative??

I can't picture you wanting to throw that beauty.

Not trying to hijack topic but have a question. Just watch the patriot again and noticed that mel gibson used a pipe hawk. is the haft strong enough for the abuse and force used in the combat scences from what you have noticed building your hawk?

Rev_William said:
Honkey said:
That is very nice. Thanks for sharing. What is it destined to be?? Mostly decorative??

I can't picture you wanting to throw that beauty.

Not trying to hijack topic but have a question. Just watch the patriot again and noticed that mel gibson used a pipe hawk. is the haft strong enough for the abuse and force used in the combat scences from what you have noticed building your hawk?

Not the OP but I've used a pipe hawk for years as a camping tool and the handles are plenty strong for most lighter work (heavier work takes an axe.) Some historical refernces for such hawks being used notes plenty of warfare, but also for ordinary camp work. The L & C Expedition carried pipehawks as a personal tool/weapon and Catlin in the 1830's wrote that the Indians used them for war but also to smoke and cut up firewood.

I am curios as to how you casted the pewter bands :hmm: ... I know I just wrapped the channel in cardbord and made a sprue "spout" to pour the pewter in :haha: .... However pewter inlays are beutiful and I would like to use the casting technique on knife handles and mabey a powderhorn... Did you use an alternate method??

poured the pewter bands just like you said, wraped in card stock, made a funnel from same material then poured, inlays are silver that I cut in, not poured. Thanks

I think it would be fine for using it to fight with, I'm not sure how it would stand up to some heavy chopping on wood, I think for small stuff it would be fine, the working edge is not very wide, I've got some other axes that would be much better for cutting firewood.

Just incase anyone doesn't get notices, Track of the Wolf just sent out an email that their pipe axes are on sale.

Mongo40 said:
Just incase anyone doesn't get notices, Track of the Wolf just sent out an email that their pipe axes are on sale.

And their 325 model doesmn't even come close to looking as good as this one :wink:

Well i personally think that price is crazy, an you notice its still on there for sale! Nobody is jumping on it, now if it sales, I might just have to do something.

Back