• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pin or peg rest for trigger finger.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gents,
Though the rifle fitted with this pin is a flinlock, I am putting it in this section as I had alredy asked Rudyard if he had ever seen such a thing. (In 'strange snapping matchlock...' thread)

Said pin is eminently practical, and a wonder to me that it is not seen more.
816537_38edff0fd97b2d26a0cf21ba44974aad.jpg

Here is the thread; https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bri...lintlock-rifle-from-1670-yes-1670-t23940.html

Best,
R.

I see no advantage?

On a precision rifle with a really light trigger..., what it does is give the shooter a point where his trigger finger engages, and by using the same point on his trigger finger touching the solid pin, the same point on the trigger finger then engages the actual trigger every time. This helps the shooter avoid engaging the very light trigger at a wrong point on the finger, and thus inadvertently firing the rifle before wished.

LD

On a precision rifle with a really light trigger..., what it does is give the shooter a point where his trigger finger engages, and by using the same point on his trigger finger touching the solid pin, the same point on the trigger finger then engages the actual trigger every time. This helps the shooter avoid engaging the very light trigger at a wrong point on the finger, and thus inadvertently firing the rifle before wished.

LD
That all makes a lot of sense for a double-set trigger. I've had a set trigger go off before I was entirely ready just last week.

Pathfinder,
The trigger bow isn't really as crowded as you may think, as the peg is outside of the bow to the right, , and leaves room for the finger behind the peg to reach the rear or setting trigger..
I see it as a real advantage (as Loyalist Dave says) as Normally, the trigger finger has nothing to grasp with a lightly set trigger, and is as Patrick says in the thread, is sort of "waving around in the breeze" or words to that effect.
One thing for sure, is that in actual use, it is found to work well.
Target shooting was a very serious sport back then, and any advantage at all seems to have been grasped at.

All the best,
Rich.

That all makes a lot of sense for a double-set trigger. I've had a set trigger go off before I was entirely ready just last week.
Yessir it does make sense. I once was privileged to shoot a friends M/L heavy target rifle with a Very light trigger pull around 4 ounces...what made it unique was the tapered needle protuberance on the front of the trigger. It dug into your finger as you began to squeeze and the pain was getting really uncomfortable when the sear tripped and fired it. Certainly made you want to avoid pulling any harder than necessary!

Back