• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta or Uberti, which should I buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so with Pietta. See this video-

Well, I'm sure that's a nice 47 minute infomercial for Pietta, but I already own a Pietta and a Uberti both in 1858 Remington New Army and both are in like new condition. I have no plans to buy a third 1858 RNA. I already know from hands-on handling and shooting that with my guns, the Uberti is clearly the better gun. Actually by a longshot. So no need for me to watch the 47 minute video and will spend my free hour doing something else. But thanks anyhow

They are both manure, but that is why they are $200-400 instead of $1500+! lol
Actually neither the Uberti not the Pietta "1858 New Army" Italian replica revolvers are manure. They are actually both made of better steel and the parts have better tolerances than were technologically possible at the time when Remington manufactured the originals issued in the Civil War. Which of the two do you own or have owned?

Actually neither the Uberti not the Pietta "1858 New Army" Italian replica revolvers are manure. They are actually both made of better steel and the parts have better tolerances than were technologically possible at the time when Remington manufactured the originals issued in the Civil War. Which of the two do you own or have owned?
Better steel than maybe the mid 1800's. Better steel than modern Ruger, Colt, or S&W? Very doubtful. The cylinders on my Pietta revolvers are very soft. The 1858 frame is very soft as well. Mine are from the late '90s and early 2000's so I guess that is like the worst ones to have. I don't own Uberti pistols but my dad had a couple and they had issues as well. Not sure when they were manufactured. My point is that I like them but they are far from fine weapons. If they were they would be over $1000.

I have my Pietta 1858 shooting pretty good but the cylinder bore isn't in alignment with the barrel bore. Planning on picking up a 36 cal cylinder and line boring it into alignment. My 1860 is better in alignment and the frame seams to be made out of way better steel. The bad on that is the timing is awful. Still working that out. And it had the arbor issue.

I would wager that the originals were better. Yeah they weren't for sure what the steel was as they were lacking the metal analysis tools we have today. That being said they indeed had some pretty decent steel. They had been making steel for how long by the 1860's? Like 350 years? lol

Better steel than maybe the mid 1800's. Better steel than modern Ruger, Colt, or S&W? Very doubtful. The cylinders on my Pietta revolvers are very soft. The 1858 frame is very soft as well. Mine are from the late '90s and early 2000's so I guess that is like the worst ones to have. I don't own Uberti pistols but my dad had a couple and they had issues as well. Not sure when they were manufactured. My point is that I like them but they are far from fine weapons. If they were they would be over $1000.

I have my Pietta 1858 shooting pretty good but the cylinder bore isn't in alignment with the barrel bore. Planning on picking up a 36 cal cylinder and line boring it into alignment. My 1860 is better in alignment and the frame seams to be made out of way better steel. The bad on that is the timing is awful. Still working that out. And it had the arbor issue.

I would wager that the originals were better. Yeah they weren't for sure what the steel was as they were lacking the metal analysis tools we have today. That being said they indeed had some pretty decent steel. They had been making steel for how long by the 1860's? Like 350 years? lol
Sorry to hear about your less than stellar Pietta performance, but glad to hear you like cap & ball revolvers well enough to continue working it out. Keep on shooting, black powder is tons of fun!

Latest posts

Back