• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Uberti or Pietta thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uberti or Pietta 1860 army

• Total voters
Pietta is awesome for cheap pairs of brassers to use as range blasters, Confederate clones that can get away with being a little "rough around the edges" and fantasy guns like 12" .44 Navies , snubs or all the "Marshall" and "Sheriff" 5" guns.

20230224_003819.jpg

20230224_003913.jpg

Neither brand is an exact repro of the originals so basically , they're all shooters and fun guns. The Ubertis feel more like actual reproductions of something vs just fantasy guns.

After the two Piettas I just got , which are really thrown together looking , I think I'll stick with Uberti for any future impulse buys

BlackpowderArt,
Mine don't work with paper cartridges, the base fits the chambers too closely, they're modified Lee's. But Accurate Molds has a bunch. Its a dangerous site for a bullet casting junkie like me. Look at the molds in the .45 pages, there's a bunch. Under the mold description it tells if it's for percussion revolvers. Click on one you're interested in, there's a dimensioned drawing. When you fill out the order forms you can change the base band size to suit your needs. They have heeled bullets too, if that helps you. Basically they'll make you what you want. I don't have one of their molds yet, but I will before the end of summer.
When you get a mold and cast some up, show us your project, I've been playing with paper cartridges myself. Luck to you.

I have a Pietta 1858 Army, but no Uberti to compare it with. Straight out of the box it has fired great and after 2 years has never let me down, I have made 2 tiny modifications I believe are unneccessary on the Ubertis: I have made an internal bevel on the muzzle, and filed a little bit of metal away on the rear of the chamber to facilitate easier capping. All of this took me a few minutes work. I am not bothered about firing conicals, but if I were, I reckon I could alter the loading gate in just as short a time. I suppose if you want these 'modifications' built in already, then spend a few pounds more on an Uberti. Otherwise, my Pietta works great and I dont plan to part with her any time soon.
EDIT: Works absolutely fine with paper cartridges.

I have a Pietta 1858 Army, but no Uberti to compare it with. Straight out of the box it has fired great and after 2 years has never let me down, I have made 2 tiny modifications I believe are unneccessary on the Ubertis: I have made an internal bevel on the muzzle, and filed a little bit of metal away on the rear of the chamber to facilitate easier capping. All of this took me a few minutes work. I am not bothered about firing conicals, but if I were, I reckon I could alter the loading gate in just as short a time. I suppose if you want these 'modifications' built in already, then spend a few pounds more on an Uberti. Otherwise, my Pietta works great and I dont plan to part with her any time soon.
EDIT: Works absolutely fine with paper cartridges.
Pietta has a strong following here and many people wouldn’t buy anything else. There are reasons for this. I’m a very loyal Uberti owner. They’ve always been good for me, and the fit, finish, attention to historical accuracy and detail are strong selling points for me. I really wish we had more than only the big two options in replica manufacturers. Competition is a very good thing.

I have only 1 Uberti, a used .36 sherrif. It may just need new nipples but it doesnt fire my (admittedly old been in the truck for years) caps as well as I need it too. I will ty it with some new #10's and see. If not the nipples (I ordered from TOW and they arrived so small they can drop into the nipple hole!) it must be the spring? Hope not. Alo hope the cap maker I hve will make sime that have a sirted length as thats the issue on the .31 I will discuss below.

I have a brand new pietta I got here on forum. BEST trigger pull hands down on any pistol I have shot. Cycles perfect, looks perfect (to me anyway) it is a Traditions. I have another 1858 Pietta 12" that is same as above less the PERFECT trigger pul. I got it from Mid south or something. Looks cool and is reliable. No better accuracy though than a standard (but have not really worked up loads, just shot a few cylinders). It's soon to be seen here on the Classified to fund the new one.

I would vote Pietta but only have ever owned the above Uberti used model (which appears well used but care for as well). It's a cool as heck lil pistol and I will keep it and get it running.

Also have an AIE (or whatever) 1849 pocket .31. Great lil pistol but had one bad nipple and had to have one machined (nobody had any anywhere in the universe). It is a great lil gun too and will join the 12" above soon as I dont need it and the sherrif (same sized frame) and prefer the .36 ball.

I just this week got a new Pietta 1858 delivered to my door. A Taylor gun. $376. Got it on GunBroker. A handsome piece for sure, but have not shot it yet. I have no Uberti to compare it with. I don't expect to do any modifications as I won't ever be trying bullets or paper cartridges; just round balls. From the little I know, that is how the originals were used. Same reason I put round balls in my Hawken. Black powder replicas, to me, means emulating history. To modernize them to do something different is no different than putting a scope on them or using plastic loading components. To me, it is not about extra hunting season or the easy way of doing things. But that is just me and I got no problem with those who think or do differently. If you shoot an M/L, we are friends.

Latest posts

Back