• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta or Uberti, which should I buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My own experience is that Uberti has had serious QA problems post covid as have Pedersoli regarding long guns. Doesn't mean every gun is going to be bad but chances of getting a problem gun are a lot higher than they were before 2020. Based on other peoples experience it seems that Pietta has largely avoided this problem. I wouldn't buy from a source that will not take returns.

Uberti is the finest production BP gun ever produced. No comparison is viable. I don't suppose any reckons my opinion is important, but there it is anyway.

I was almost entirely set on buying a Uberti Remington 1858 New Army because it was said to be closer to the original. However I started getting impatient with Uberti because there is only 2 dealers is my country and I contacted one of them and he told me they rarely get Uberti shipment and the Remington did not get restocked at all this year which makes it 9 months, I guess replacement parts are more rare as well. Also heard on this forum that the quality decreased in Uberti because they did some sort of factory upgrade and laid off skilled workers, meanwhile I heard people claim the Pietta quality increased again. Is the Uberti only slightly more accurate to the original? Do they both fire conical bullets as well, (heard an owner complain it did not fit as well in Pietta). Both can be converted to fire cartridges, right? Are they both about as far off to the original, one only slightly closer than the other? Is it true that the Pietta surpassed Uberti's quality? They both cost about the same where I live and the Pietta 1858 is in stock.
I need help deciding which to buy, the rarity of Uberti made me skeptical and I keep hearing a decrease in its quality in the recent years.
Thank you for your help in advance!

In my experience, beginning some 20 plus years ago, the Uberti made New Model Army Remington reproduction was superior to the Pietta in just about all aspects until about 8 years ago or so. Uberti uses a forged frame while Pietta's is cast. Is that enough to make a significant difference? For me, the answer no. More important to me is timing and lock up, both of which can range from excellent to horrible.About 12 years ago I bought 4 Sheriffs model Remingtons to shoot SASS events. All where Uberti and two were stainless and two standard finish. Out of the four I discovered one had been drilled off square and barely rotated the cylinder. It should never have left the factory and quality control personnel must have been on holiday! There dealer very begrudgingly took it back to send it to the factory. That's when I started looking at Pietta made replicas and unlike previous ones I had handled, these had quite nice fit and finish and needed just a few adjustments to make the timing and lock up good.
Three years ago I received a Pietta made 1858 Remington as a gift, which included an extra cylinder. It had been purchased from Cabellas, on sale for $219, which I couldn't believe. Both timing and lock up are perfect, no adjustments needed and I've since purchased a conversion cylinder for it to shoot .45 Colt. Again, timing and lock up it great. The only flaw is the pivot on the loading lever is a bit pinched and has worn the blueing off, something I can live with. So in my experience, Pietta made Remingtons have been every bit as good and reliable as the Urberti models of the '58 NMA.

Not so with Pietta. See this video-
I

Not so with Pietta. See this video-

I have a Navy Arms Pietta 12 ga SxS muzzleloader built in the 80's which is great and very well made. As far as pistols go, I have a Uberti 1858 New Army 44 which is awesome. Perfectly timed, super smooth action, all cyliders shoot to same dead nuts point of aim. I bought it neseven year ago. This is the higher end case hardened model with brass trigger guard. Very pretty super smooth and accurate.

Two years ago I ran into a deal I could not pass up on a Pietta 1858 New Army, came with box and instructions, a 45 Colt conversion cylinder, and two boxes of Fiocchi 45 Colt cowboy ammo with $36 price stickers on them. I paid $300 for the lot, a super deal on a like new Pietta with conversión cylinder. The conversion cylinder alone cost about what i got everything for if you can find them in stock anywhere. Anyhow the gun itself is a blued versión.
Last weekend I finally loaded up some 45 Colt cartridges with 255 gr Keith style cast lead bullets over 32 grs Goex FFFg and CCI 300 LP primers to test out the Pietta with the conversión cylinder. It was very accurate but the trigger and action in general was not even close to the smoothness of the Uberti. Also, after 12 rounds the cylinder rotating pin completely gunked up with blackpowder fouling and it requiered a mallet and water to extract the cylinder pin.

If you have a choice, get the high end case hardened Uberti. It is by far the better revolver. No IMHO whiney wish y washy CYA manure. The Uberti beats the Pietta hands down.

This guy makes a good point. Expect to work on either brand to bring it up to snuff. They are essentially kit guns. His Pietta seems to be particularly bad, and it's sample of one, but also useful information.

Mike Harvey of Cimarron fame gives a lot of good information here. It would appear that when the old man died at Uberti a lot of the expertise did as well. And, of course, Covid threw a wrench in the works. Still, when I make my next purchase I'll definitely look at what's in stock at Cimarron first. I appreciate a good salesman.

I too had seen a factory tour video before, and it is anything BUT a small cottage factory! (Unlike that Gepetto guy who makes the marionettes!):)
The biggest complaint for years way back was regarding soft internal parts, not heated treated properly! Once that was remedied most of the complaints stopped. Many people complaining just need to be ignored,(IMHO) because they complain and complain and want a $300 firearm to be like a Korth or Nighthawk. (IMHO)

The biggest complaint for years way back was regarding soft internal parts, not heated treated properly! Once that was remedied most of the complaints stopped. Many people complaining just need to be ignored,(IMHO) because they complain and complain and want a $300 firearm to be like a Korth or Nighthawk. (IMHO)
Yes, this!

I just entered the world of black powder revolvers.
I bought two-three weeks ago an Uberti Walker and Uberti Whitneyville.
I returned the Walker as it was damaged at the trigger guard and wood grip - packaging was also smashed clear through. It was not replaced by the vendor as being out of stock.
I also returned the Whitneyville as the cylinder tuned apparently normally when half-cocked, it would almost seize up when rotating in a manually firing mode. A pure case of poor QC. The replacement did not have the issue an seems fine
I just received an Ubert 1861 Navy Civil and it is well finished and smooth – no issues.
Overall, the fit an finish of the Uberti revolvers received is quite nice. I cannot yet comment on the actual firing functionality.

I have both a Pietta 1858 Remington New Army and an Uberti 1858 Remington New Army. By far the Uberti is better quality and straighter shooting. I do not shoot conical bullets, but I can tell you that the bullet ram opens fully and a conical bullet will fit on the Uberti. However, the in the fully open position, the Pietta ram sticks down about 1/4" to 3/8" into the frame opening which might be an issue for seating longer conicals in the Pietta. Neither have any issues loading round balls. Both guns are less than 10 years old. Based on the two I have the Uberti is the clear winner

I have a Pietta Remington New Army Brass 44 cal. It shoots straight and is very accurate after I did some file work on the front sight. I got it as a Traditions blister pack for $50 about 18 years ago. I have no experience with any of the other manufacturers.

Back