• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1851 .36 Navy - anyone have one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, life's too short to goofy around with those annoying photo hosting sites, and Photobucket can rot in hell. Take look at the 1851 and 1861 Uberti frame cutouts: I cut mine to be deeper and to taper down to not quite deep enough to touch the arbor.
You can upload pics to this site now:

Navy trigger.jpg

Photobucket is what I use without trouble. The guy who wanted to charge $250 is gone and it's like it used to be.

My 1861 loads fairly easily through the cap groove, but it ain't quick. I use my thumb and a snail capper.

IIRC, my 36 Cal Pietta 1851 Navy is a 2018 manufacture. The window around the nipples is tight but I still find I can use my Ted Cash snail capper on it. Just have to be more precise.

Sorry, life's too short to goofy around with those annoying photo hosting sites, and Photobucket can rot in hell. Take look at the 1851 and 1861 Uberti frame cutouts: I cut mine to be deeper and to taper down to not quite deep enough to touch the arbor.
With the new forum software you don't have to mess with any of those photo hosting sites.
Just go to the picture you want. COPY it and come back to the MLF. Then PASTE the picture into your post.
The forum software will then show the picture in an icon and give you the choice of how you want it to show up in your post.
You can select "Thumbnail" if it is a really big picture or select "Full Size" if it is a little smaller.

Sometimes it just enters the picture without you needing to tell it you want it full size like it did with this one.

Poof
Silverplate.jpg

I have one and put the Slix-Shot nipples on it. I shot 120 rounds through it on the last range session.

After I determined that I wasn't seating the caps completely on the Slix-Shot nipples it performed flawlessly.

Prior to that, the cylinder stop and trigger spring broke. Fortunately, Cabela's had the spare parts kit and I replaced the spring.

Another one was put in the spare parts kit that I got from Taylor's.

Anyway, I would highly recommend it.

I've read of SlixShot nipples. People who buy them like them. Do whatever works best for you.

I've found that, in years past Uberti & Pietta nipples appeared to be individually handmade by a deaf, blind, drunken and arthritic old granny using a foot-pedal grinding wheel. If you accumulated several revolvers, and removed all the nipples, you could come up with at least 1 set with same-dimensions. Many worked best with #10 nipples & the rest with #11. Current models of both Uberti & Pietta seem to have since corrected the problem.
I have several revolvers and some rifles that I've installed Treso/Ampco nipples. They are precision made, use #11 caps, and my oldest ones are over 40 years old and haven't worn out, nor flash holes enlarged. If I were to recommend replacements, they would be the Ampco.

IMG_1971_zpsc8ky34gf.jpg
I have one. It is a brass frame as well. Never shot it. I have other "shooters" in my collection. Not a fan of shooting the brass framed ones. The '61 is a Colt 2nd Gen Signature Series. I have the SlixShot nipples on my Uberti Walker and like them a lot!
IMG_1549_zpsmkecxwzn.jpg

The Walker is a shooter!
IMG_1114%20-%20Version%202_zpswnxtvjn3.jpg

Last edited:
With the new forum software you don't have to mess with any of those photo hosting sites.
Just go to the picture you want. COPY it and come back to the MLF. Then PASTE the picture into your post.
The forum software will then show the picture in an icon and give you the choice of how you want it to show up in your post.
You can select "Thumbnail" if it is a really big picture or select "Full Size" if it is a little smaller.

Sometimes it just enters the picture without you needing to tell it you want it full size like it did with this one.

Poof
View attachment 5629
Nice job of polishing on the brass on your revolvers Zonie. Or is that just from use? I have been unable to cut and paste pictures in my posts. I always get an error message saying "security alert" or something like that, it says to reload the page and try again, but I just keep getting the same message after doing that, and the message won't go from that page to preview or to the posted page with save changes. I'm still using Photobucket though. I don't have any problems with it, but having to open two tabs is a bit of a pain.
I guess my cut and paste pictures just go Psssst, instead of Poof!

Image 3-3-19 at 4.30 PM.jpg
This picture was really a test of uploading a file picture from my MacBook Pro. It worked. Can't copy & paste for some reason though. Always get a security message?
Image 3-3-19 at 4.24 PM.jpg

Latest posts

Back