• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

period ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've broken two (2) wood ramrods in my nearly 55 years shooting front stuffers. They both were the flimsy soft rods that often come with the gun. Actually, I only broke one (1); the other, a 5/16" rod on my .36 was broken when my little min pin bumped the tip and broke off some 2" of it. A few years ago I ordered a dozen good hickory rod blanks. I've only finished about half of them and they are in service as I type. They are tough and they are good; all I'll ever need. I even use them sometimes at the range but mostly use ss range rods.

Black Hand said:
Is it a coincidence that most/all of the people who buy non-wood ramrods just happen to own production guns?
And you must know every production gun owner AND everyone who has ever purchased a non-wood ramrod personally in order to make a statement like that?

Give us a break. :shake:

Jack Wilson said:
And you must know every production gun owner AND everyone who has ever purchased a non-wood ramrod personally in order to make a statement like that?

It makes a point...
Whether you agree or not is irrelevant to this discussion.

Black Hand said:
Jack Wilson said:

It makes a point...
No facts = No point. Just opinion.

Production gun = crappy rammer = potential customer for a fake/alternative ramrod. If you look back to discussions on this site, even you would see the connection...

So far, I've seen discussed: Solid Brass rod, Brass tubing with inserts, bamboo, aluminum, Delrin, Fiberglass, stainless steel and probably a few others I've forgotten.

So far, I've seen discussed: Solid Brass rod, Brass tubing with inserts, bamboo, aluminum, Delrin, Fiberglass, stainless steel and probably a few others I've forgotten.

Add cold rolled steel, plastic, and carbon fiber...

colorado clyde said:

Add cold rolled steel, plastic, and carbon fiber...
And for wood:
Oak, Ramin, Hardware dowel (primarily Ramin), Dogwood, Ash, Hickory, Osage Orange, Ebony, Bamboo (Yes, technically a grass), laminated Bamboo, maybe Rattan (not technically wood)....and others I've overlooked.

This thread reminds me of the old Dixie catalogs, where Turner Kirkland recommended soaking hickory ramrods in a pipe filled kerosene -- or maybe it was coal oil. Seems like someone tested the soaked rods vs. unsoaked and found no difference in strength.

BillinOregon said:
This thread reminds me of the old Dixie catalogs, where Turner Kirkland recommended soaking hickory ramrods in a pipe filled kerosene -- or maybe it was coal oil. Seems like someone tested the soaked rods vs. unsoaked and found no difference in strength.

Right, it might make your rod smell like kerosene and it might make it flexible”¦ but people who say, “look, my rod can make a circle without breaking” are neglecting to think about what a rod is supposed to be: a stiff rod that pushes something down a tube, not a hula hoop or a plumber’s snake. Also, if you need a rod to be that flexible, then you need to change the way you load.

Again, to the original poster’s question ”“ whoever thought of the steel core ramrod thought of a very good idea. It’s an invention of convenience”¦ Most folks who have bought those probably either didn’t want to take the time to find a straight-grained hickory (or ash, etc) rod or were misinformed from experience with production gun dowels and decided that wood rods were, by nature, junk. It’s a valid idea if all you’ve used were dowels with grain run out. If my only options were one of those steel core ramrods or a factory gun’s ramrod, I would choose the steel core ramrod without blinking.

but people who say, “look, my rod can make a circle without breaking” are neglecting to think about what a rod is supposed to be: a stiff rod that pushes something down a tube, not a hula hoop or a plumber’s snake. Also, if you need a rod to be that flexible, then you need to change the way you load.

"Swish"...Slam dunk... :thumbsup:

Some people do not have access to a shop with tools where they can lovingly handcraft themselves nice straight grain hickory rods with no run out. And there is no real place to buy such rods online that I am personally aware of, and I've looked.

If you can buy a gun you can buy tools....

There are numerous places on the internet where you can get a ramrod....
Larry Zorn
Steve Baily
October country
Track of the wolf
muzzleloader building supply
Buffalo arms
period ramrods
Log cabin shop
Etc.......etc......

Recommend using Google for your search engine...

Smokey Plainsman said:
Some people do not have access to a shop with tools where they can lovingly handcraft themselves nice straight grain hickory rods with no run out. And there is no real place to buy such rods online that I am personally aware of, and I've looked.
You can make a ramrod with a knife and a piece of wood - no shop required.

At one time, I built Muzzleloaders in my apartment living room with a handful of hand tools, an electric hand drill and a vice clamped to a particle-board desk. Where there is a desire, you can find a way...

Smokey Plainsman said:

You're being lazy young man.

I buy my hickory blanks from Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf.

Often my shop is the kitchen table and my tools are a cordless drill, a file and a knife and a pair of pliers. These are tools every woman should not be without to make repairs around the home if her husband be away.

Clamp down a couple of bore guides in a vice and attach your hickory blank to a cordless drill and now you have a poor man's lathe at your kitchen table.

I just made two replacement ramrods for my doublegun with my girls doing much of the work. If my 12 year old daughter can build a ramrod, you can too.

I have only repros and have broke 2 rods in 42 years. One a pedersoli .45. I believe it was defective (run out) as it broke FIRST loading. Other was on a pistol and I stepped on it when it fell :redface:

I would not pay $59.00 but thats just me. After all for the difference in price for a handful o blanks you could buy MORE than enough beer n nuts to last the whittlin time required :idunno: :grin:

Back