• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

period ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$59 for a ramrod?
I paid $8 for a lifetime supply (for me) of straight-grained hickory to make ramrods...

They are heavier and pricier (both by a good bit) than hickory. I choose the straightest grain hickory that I can find & run it down the bore in short stages. Have yet to have a problem. For something like pulling a ball, I use a steel range rod.

Squatch84 said:
Anyone have experience with this company?

I don't think anyone actually answered your question.....

I don't own one of their rods....but I have handled one...
My only complaint was that they are heavier than all wood....but you can't tell the difference visually.

I was wondering Why?
I bought one for the express use for my Winter muzzleloading primitive biathlons races. Smoothbore division, where I had a tight patch fit.

One race I judged the last shooting station for a few hours, when it was a balmy 17-degrees out p, and I witnessed 8 ramrods broken by the competitors, all rifles, 7 using bore butter and 1 spit patching.

Out came my Period Ramrod and all were able to load those stubborn loads easily.

I have since changed my tactics, but it did have its place, is truly unbreakable, you can't tell visually and yes, it is a few ounces heavier. Somewhere I wrote down the weight difference ...

It was, however, extremely well made.

Sasquatch,,Bad News buddy....

The elderly gentleman that makes these steel core period rods is ill. Very Ill and no one has trained his replacement...

You can call the company..maybe by now they sorted the issue out.?
wood rod users make me laugh..its not a matter of if the rod goes though your hand it a matter of when..

Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!

Just ask any buddy involved in the sport and have them show you their scars.......

wood rod users make me laugh..its not a matter of if the rod goes though your hand it a matter of when..

Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!

Just ask any buddy involved in the sport and have them show you their scars.......

I don't have any scars.....

What makes me laugh is the unwarranted paranoia and apparent lack of knowledge associated with using a wooden ramrod that drives the bogus fear....

A wooden ramrod is like a car....The more careless and inattentive you are, the more dangerous it becomes.
When I see a guy who has something other than a wooden ramrod on his gun I immediately know something important about that person...

22fowl said:
wood rod users make me laugh..its not a matter of if the rod goes though your hand it a matter of when...
If this is as common as you claim, everyone will have experienced a wood rod through the hand. Of the many shooters I know, not one has had this experience.

Blanket statements such as yours hold as much water as a sieve and are as believable as the Easter Bunny Fairy tale or Unicorn sightings.
Does it happen? Yes - on rare occasions when someone has a poor quality rod with grain run-out and has done something stupid...:slap:

A finger is 2-3" long, and can be broken with as little as 25 lbs of pressure..

A 2-3" long piece of 3/8 dowel can withstand over a 1000 lbs of force.

sorry guys wasn't trying to start an argument. Personally I've never broken a rod either, but I've used a fiberglass rod for the really tight target loads. I Was looking to replace that.59 bucks is alot of money, and if he's ill then I'll just stick with what I got.

Black Hand said:
22fowl said:
wood rod users make me laugh..its not a matter of if the rod goes though your hand it a matter of when...
If this is as common as you claim, everyone will have experienced a wood rod through the hand. Of the many shooters I know, not one has had this experience.

Blanket statements such as yours hold as much water as a sieve and are as believable as the Easter Bunny Fairy tale or Unicorn sightings.
Does it happen? Yes - on rare occasions when someone has a poor quality rod with grain run-out and has done something stupid...:slap:

I actually laughed to myself at, "it's a matter of when." As in, the thousands upon thousands of individuals now and throughout history who have used good ramrods (not piece of junk ramin wood with grain run out)were just biding their time and the ones who never skewered their hands just died before they had the chance.

If only we were all smart enough to know that modern solutions are always better... then none of us would be using 200-year-old technology.

That said, it's not my intention to belittle the question of the original poster. Those steel core ramrods are a great idea especially for those who don't have access to straight grained hickory (and maybe have purchased a bunch of duds in the past site unseen). If someone wants a traditional looking rod that won't break, I can see some folks paying $59. You can get the same thing (that weighs less) in a straight grained hickory rod (if you can split your own or find someone who can split it, you can't go wrong), but it takes some effort to find the right thing or make it yourself. More rewarding in my opinion, but others may just find the convenience of a ready made rod attractive.

jbwilliams said:
If only we were all smart enough to know that modern solutions are always better... then none of us would be using 200-year-old technology.

That might be true if it weren't for the fact that "skewering" of one's hand is often the result of grain run-out caused by modern doweling machines...And that a quality rod requires the old fashioned skill of a craftsman.

So in reality it is modern solutions that are actually the problem....

colorado clyde said:
jbwilliams said:

That might be true if it weren't for the fact that "skewering" of one's hand is often the result of grain run-out caused by modern doweling machines...And that a quality rod requires the old fashioned skill of a craftsman.

So in reality it is modern solutions that are actually the problem....

Exactly... My statement was meant to be ironic. Hence, the rest of my post. A hickory split makes the best ramrod you could ever use.

Is it a coincidence that most/all of the people who buy non-wood ramrods just happen to own production guns? I don't know anyone with a custom-built gun that doesn't have a wood ramrod (with the exception of those guns traditionally equipped with steel ramrods).

I guess that says something loud and clear about the quality of ramrod from certain sources.

Considering it takes 1-2 hours to make a proper ramrod from straight-grained hickory without grain run-out, not certain why anyone would buy one of questionable ancestry...?

Back