• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

percussion shotgun suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
well looking to find and purchace a reasonably priced bp shotgun any suggestions for a new product or especially a good used one to look for I looked on line and wow they are expensive. look to purchace next year-season but you never know what you find if it is good, and you often have to move fast.

Keep an eye on some of the BP auction sights. They show up pretty regular. I have a Navy Arms double barrel .12 ga that i have had for years, that i bought used and have never had a problem with it.

buttonbuck,
Might try Gun List magizine, they
show up in there on accasion.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Not sure what your definition of reasonably priced and if you want single or double barrel.

The T/C 12 guage is a nice shotgun, it's not fancy but is reliable and backed by a great warranty. It comes with screw-in chokes, you can shoot steel shot. For the price, I would put it at a best buy.

Mine shot a foot high and a foot to the left when I got it. I sent the gun back to T/C and the regulated the barrel and sent back 5 targets with the gun where they patterned it.

I have a Pedersoli 10 guage double barrel. Nice hand cut checkering, nice bluing and screw-in chokes. Not sure it fits the "reasonably priced" shotgun at $750 from Cabelas.

They make the left lock where the trigger pull is hard in case you cock both barrels so it will not go off when firing the right barrel. The trigger was set so hard that it was almost impossible to pull the trigger. I had it lightened.

RDE

was the t.c. the new englander? I also saw a sidelock that was all camoflauged, are they currently making one now?

Yes, it was the New Englander, with walnut stock, they don't make it anymore. I had one was a good gun, except for being a single barrel. I used to switch off barrels with a New Englander .54 cal. TC seems to be going with black synthetic now, must have forgotten about traditional shooters!

Buttonbuck: I would recommend one of the Pedersoli doubles manufactured for Navy, Dixie, Cabelas, etc. I have had the 10, the 12 and the 20, and oddly enough had the best patterns with the 20 -- the only one Pedersoli makes that isn't available with interchangeable chokes. The stock on the 20 fit me better, too. I have always had a sore cheek after shooting the 10 and 12, not because of the additional recoil but because of the slightly different stock architecture. The 20 is also by far the liveliest handling of these nice doubles. I would hunt for a used one if I were you.
Good luck in your quest.

This does not fit the original post, but I thought I would share it.

Recently I went dove hunting with a friend on his dove lease which was an interesting experience. I was sitting under a nice shade tree on a pond enjoying the morning. Three birds for 5 shots.

One of the guys on the lease came over and sat down next to me. He asked, do you load your own shells? Yes, have have done so for a long time.

He told me that I was definetly doing something wrong. Somewhat confussed I asked him how? He said shotguns were not supposed to smoke like mine did.

I told him that mine was a black powder shot gun. He got up and left.

Forest Gump came to mind.

I have had the same reaction at trap and skeet ranges when I shoot my BP shotguns. I had one 70s plus man take his grandson in hand out to where he could watch me shoot, and I overheard him telling the grandson that his grandfather shot a gun like that! I offered to let him shoot the gun, and his grandson. He declined several times, but then finally consented. He missed the first shot, but hit his clay target with the second. I offered to load it again and let him continue shooting, but he begged off, thanking me for letting him know what it was like to shoot " that old gun ". I was shooting my CVA 12 ga. kit gun.

Buttonbuck,
TC also made the Black Mountain Magnum, which is really a New Englander with just a few minor changes. Barrels are interchangeable. I believe the BBM can still be found new at some suppliers. Plug the TC BMM name into your search engine and you may find one new. Some were made with walnut stocks. New Englanders show up on the auctions with regularity. 12ga barrels are available through Fox Ridge. Good luck. :grin:

it sounds like I could afford a T/C new englander do they have choke tubes in them? and how is the recoil I had a topper in 12 gauge and oouch I gave it to a friend and stuck with the 870 and stevens 410-22 as my only only shotguns, I enjoy my sons youth 20 gauge 870 but I enjoy black powder and longbow hunting so much more. I let the kids take the shots.

Recoil isn't bad. I had one for a while but sold it to a friend. He uses it for ducks and geese with some heavy loads. They have screw in chokes. They come up on the auctions quite regularly with rifle barrels. If you get one i understand that the shotgun barrels are still available for them. Two or three guns in one if you got both a ,50 and ,54 cal barrel and the shotgun barrel.

yeah I have a 54 renegade and a 54 hawken w/a 32 green mtn barrel I checked at fox ridge and the shotgun barrels were 175.00 so I figure to look on gunbroker-and guns america for a new englander shotgun. I really should join some local ml group just to have local connections but time is short the forum is great anyway. thanks

Buttonbuck,
Check out eBay under T/C parts. Occasionally New Englander shotgun barrels show up there, not to mention NE stocks. Lotta demand for those barrels usually and they can get pricy.

Just a little reminder for you folks:
If you have a shotgun question, we have a Smoothbore forum which is better suited for questions like this one.

zonie :)

Back