• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought an old percussion rifle yesterday off a guy whose dad had died and left him several guns.

Got it apart right now to clean it up a bit, and can't find many markings on it. The lock is a silver color with "H. Elwell" and "Warranted" surrounded by a circle, and has a pheasant and a couple of geese near the rear. Underneath the barrel is an "H T", and on the side it looks like a very small bird's head is stamped.

The barrel is 28" long, about 45 caliber. The nose cap is held on by two screws from the inside of the stock under the barrel. The stock is longer than a half-stock, more like a 3/4, and held in place with a wedge. Looks like maple, has a nice grain to it. The trigger guard is held in by pins, not screws, crosswise through the stock. the tang has a wood screw, not one that goes all the way to the trigger. The percussion system is a drum and nipple, neither of which are frozen by rust (luckily!).
The guy I bought it off of knew nothing about it, looks to be fairly old but in decent shape. Barrel has some surface rust, and looks to be developing a patina, bore is bright and shiny with 8 lands.
The ramrod is very small, about a 1/4 inch in diameter, with the last 4 inches or so swelling out to about 5/16 inch. The brass bolsters are also 1/4 inch, and are on dovetails on the piece which runs under the barrel held on by 2 screws. Can't remember the name at the moment. Don't know how someone managed to use the rod, it looks very flimsy to me.
Any ideas as to how old, made by, etc. would be appreciated. Will try and get pics up soon. Gotta find the camera 1st. Sorry for the length, trying to get everything in.
The hardware is brass, and it has the double trigger. I can't remove the trigger housing from the stock, looks like the wood has swelled around it, its certainly stuck anyway. Everything else came off fairly easily.

Ditto to Musketman.....There is really no shelf
life to B/P that we know of. So be careful.....
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

couple of pics:
hrifle1.jpg

hrifle2.jpg

To me, the gun looks to be fairly newly made however, in L.D.Satterlee's book "American Gun Makers" Otto Ulbrich Co 1940, it says:

"
ELWELL, Henry - Unidentified, Marking on the percusion lock of a rifle by G.W.Harvel& Bros. Elwell locks are also found on rifles by James Golcher.

ELWELL, H. - Pennsylvania, Unidentified. Flintlock Kentucky rifle."

"GOLCHER, James - Philadelphia, Pa., before and after 1833. "

"HARVEL, G. W. & BROS - Unidentified. Percussion rifle with a lock by Henry Elwell."

Although this doesn't tell us much it might indicate the lock dates from the 1830s and it does give some names which later books on gunmakers might have more information about.

zonie :)

I know the stock has been redone, under the nosecap is remnants of a dark reddish color. May be a parts rifle thrown together by someone, the nosecap looks to be hand-cut by the uneven edges, and the inletting in the stock for it is uneven also.

swoter,
I really like the stock! What part of OH do
you call home?
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

I'm in London, about 20 miles west of Columbus. Haven't been over your way for a while, but get out to the New Albany gun shop once or twice a year.

Been doing some research, and according to Ron Gabels website (GabelGuns.com) the lock is probably an original, sounds like a late Elwell lock from 1840-1855. He was a Seneca County Ohio lockmaker. I found one reference to a H.T. Wood gunmaker, it was a percussion rifle for sale on a website (http://www.fulmersantiqueguns.com/listing.asp).
I can't find any other markings on the barrel, so who knows if its the same person, probably not though.
Got it cleaned up pretty well now, think I'll try to shoot it later this week. Measured the barrel land to land and it came out right about .450, my caliper isn't the best, so I may be a little off.
I'll have to find someone who knows antique rifles and let them look it over one of these days.

Back