• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Hammer Cam (Divot)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike I did not think of that. I was looking forward to doing the job. Your right thought.I can always come back and do the deed if it continues to screw up. Sometimes others have better ideas than your own!Thx Mike.

It's to soft to last very long from what I can see as it's already deformed and chewed into by the bolt finger.
Well I started on my second hammer cam pin upgrade. This one is on a 2023 Spiller&Burr 1862. Unlike my1861 Navy,I Have not even shot this one . This is what the cam looks like. It was exhibiting bolt drop on the cylinder.

In addition this one was press fit and not integral. So should be a tad easier or at least one or two s

It's to soft to last very long from what I can see as it's already deformed and chewed into by the bolt finger.

It's probably from a much too heavy bolt spring helping to force it off the cam in the wrong place to begin with. Cams don't really have to be super hard to do their job if you set them up properly.

I am going to re-profile and harden it before installing it. I also ordered a couple of replacement cams from Taylor's. I let you know how it comes out.

I am going to re-profile and harden it before installing it. I also ordered a couple of replacement cams from Taylor's. I let you know how it comes out.
I'd bet it is as hard as it can be right now and the bolt finger is still chewing away at it. I doubt a cam can be to hard though so making a new one would make sense.

I'd bet it is as hard as it can be right now and the bolt finger is still chewing away at it. I doubt a cam can be to hard though so making a new one would make sense.
So far it is doing good. I have not shot though.I did re-profile,harden and re-clock it.
If it does not hold up I always have your method to fall back on. Worked the first time.

Way back when I started this this second operation I ordered a 4.7mm HSS blank. The Cam of the 1861 was 4.9mm so the 5mm HSS blank worked good on it. I have held off doing your fix on the Spiller &Burr as I was able to order two new replacement cams. So in the mean time as I wait for the new ones, I tried Mikes idea and re-clocked it. My attempt at hardening seems to work.Now that it is timed correct and I have lowered the tension on the bolt spring I am hoping it will hold. You get the my thought process? I will keep you posted though.:ThankYou:

So far it is doing good. I have not shot though.I did re-profile,harden and re-clock it.
If it does not hold up I always have your method to fall back on. Worked the first time.

Way back when I started this this second operation I ordered a 4.7mm HSS blank. The Cam of the 1861 was 4.9mm so the 5mm HSS blank worked good on it. I have held off doing your fix on the Spiller &Burr as I was able to order two new replacement cams. So in the mean time as I wait for the new ones, I tried Mikes idea and re-clocked it. My attempt at hardening seems to work.Now that it is timed correct and I have lowered the tension on the bolt spring I am hoping it will hold. You get the my thought process? I will keep you posted though.:ThankYou:
Yes and thanks for keeping me up dated on your progress as I learn right along with you !

Here is a comparison of the1861 Uberti Hammers I have presently.
#1 is the problem one that has a new HSS 4.9mm homemade Cam replacement.
#2 is one that works good that only needed polishing and #2 GUN'S hand tuning.
#3 is a DGW $50.00 replacement
#4 is Taylors $67.00 replacement.

#3+4 work fine in problem gun,with a sooner bolt reset than the modded hammer.
While I don't have machine quality measurement method,Calipers show me that problem gun hammer machining was not same as the rest of the examples I have. When I finally get to the range I will take one of the new Hammers for testing. It appears to me that the problem gun hammer was machined just off enough, to allow the bolt arm (along with over tension bolt spring) to be the source of my newly acquired education into HAMMER CAM DIVOTs!. Maybe someone else that bought a :FRIDAY afternoon 3:20)Pistol can benefit from this thread.Let me know it anyone has questions CLB.
1861#1,2,D,THAMMER.jpg

Here are the replacement cams that I ordered. They measure the same as One off Pietta 1862 Spiller& Burr. The part I ordered was for a Pietta 1858 Remington. Took a chance ! FYI!
newSB CAM1.jpg
newSB CAM2.jpg

Latest posts

Back