• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion .50 cal Muzzleloader under $200?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 2 ML at a Pawn shop.
Traditions Pioneer $45
CVA Hawken $55

I have gotten both suitable for deer hunting @ 50 yards or less but they are not tack drivers. I'm still working on them but they are by no means mint barels. Granted, I'm not a seasoned ML but these were my first ones. I figured if I messed up a ML during the shooting or cleaning etc, better off being a cheap one.

Question, for you guys who have gotten used,
Any suggestions for evaluating the crown?
I looked at a CVA mountain and a Long rifle in flint last week and the crowns looked a bit worn. I thought about getting the long rifle cause it was in flint but thought I'd be happier with a new cheap kit build than getting another unknown. Evaluating a used ML can be a bit daunting if you don't have someone knowledgeable with you

At one of my local pawn shops recently they had a Traditions Deerstalker in 50 for $110, looked to be unfired. They are out there. I just put a t/c renegade on layaway for $160, which looks to have been fired maybe 10 times. Keep looking.

Melnic said:
Question, for you guys who have gotten used,
Any suggestions for evaluating the crown?
I looked at a CVA mountain and a Long rifle in flint last week and the crowns looked a bit worn. I thought about getting the long rifle cause it was in flint but thought I'd be happier with a new cheap kit build than getting another unknown. Evaluating a used ML can be a bit daunting if you don't have someone knowledgeable with you

Somebody may have coned the muzzles or it could just be from wear. The main thing to watch for is nicks or burrs. They will ruin your day accuracywise. A coning tool (you can make your own) will generally take care of that. If the damage is too great or too far down, you may have to cut an inch or two off and re-crown. If you can, see if the seller will let you remove the lock. Look to see if there's any damage in the mortise and check the lock internals. If the lock is a mess, there's a good chance the bore of the barrel is in the same condition. Look for cracks in the stock, especially across the wrist. Depending on your level of gunsmithing skills, you may or may not want to tackle any necessary repairs. If you don't, but know someone who can for a reasonable price and can get the gun cheap enough, go for it. As it's been said a thousand times on here, beware of a loaded gun. If it looks like it's not been well cared for, it is even more likely to still be loaded.

When I got my $25 TC home, I checked for a load first thing. I had already cycled the lock before I bought it. In this case, I figured for what the guy was asking the rifle was worth more just in parts, so the cracked stock was no big deal. After cleaning the barrel and checking for bulges, I loaded a reduced charge, tied it down to a tire and touched it off. Then I loaded a full size load and repeated. Cleaned it up and put it in a cabinet until I can get around to an overhaul.

CVA Bobcats are cheap but very reliable and can be quite accurate (good as needed for a starter), I have a .36 and had a .50. I see em often at or under $100.00. Get one and all yer accessories and start yer journey....its long and expensive though, next you will need a revolver then a .54, then a double then a....well you'll see!

Second on the CVA Bobcat, can be picked up very cheap! As mentioned, not the prettiest but they shoot very well. FWIW

Deals are out there.
I just picked up a $200 TC Hawken in nearly MINT condition. I already have a CVA Hawken in the same caliber but This one has the brass hardware and the engraving in the lock so I could not pass it up.

Actually the TC prices, are all over the board, here is Va. Our state allows, about any type of muzzle loading rifle, during hunting season and the TC's got tossed aside. If a gun shop has mostly modern muzzleloaders, they will practically give you a side lock rifle, but if they deal in older firearms, then the TC's may even be high, on the ridicules side.

The last one I bought, from a very knowledgeable gun dealer, said if he couldn't get $100., he'd just hang it up in his shooting blind. Which by the way, was nice enough to live in.

I just picked up an FIE .45 for $100 shipped. It's got a repaired split in the stock though. The repair is crude looking and I'll probably re-do it if I'm able.

I just listed a CVA Hawken in the classifieds here that comes close to your wants and needs. If you want pics I can text or email them to you! Greg. :)

Latest posts

Back