• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pemmican recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoochiepapa

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Scan_Pic0001-25.jpg

I usually make this out of wild meat, or buffalo from the grocery. It's really good for hunting, just carry a bag of it in my pocket or bag, and snack.

One other thing, I leave them in the freezer until I'm going out the door to hunt, and they will be thawed by the time I'm in the mountains.

In modern times, the term "Pemmican" has been applied to all kinds of incorrect things. If it doesn't contain suet (FAT), it isn't pemmican. Pemmican is only three things - meat, suet and berries. This is a complete food, containing protein, fat and carbohydrates.

Here is a traditional method.

David Thompson, intrepid explorer, writes in his "Narratives" that pemmican is

"a wholesome, well tasted nutritious food, upon which all persons engaged in the Furr Trade mostly depend for their subsistence during the open season; it is made of the lean and fleshy parts of the Bison dried, smoked, and pounded fine; in this state it is called Beat Meat; the fat of the Bison is of two qualities, called hard and soft; the former is from the inside of the animal, which when melted is called hard fat (properly grease) the latter is made from the large flakes of fat that lie on each side of the back bone, covering the ribs, and which is readily separated, and when carefully melted resembles butter in softness and sweetness. Pimmecan is made up in bags of ninety pounds weight, made of the parchment hide of the Bison with the hair on; the proportion of the Pemmecan when best made for keeping is twenty pounds of soft and the same of hard fat, slowly melted together, and at a low warmth poured on fifty pounds of Beat Meat, well mixed together, and closely packed in a bag of about thirty inches in length, by near twenty inches in breadth, and about four in thickness which makes them flat, the best shape for stowage and carriage. On the great Plains there is a shrub bearing a very sweet berry of dark blue color, much sought after, great quantities are desired by the Natives; in this state, these berries are as sweet as the best currants, and as much as possible mixed to make Pemmecan."

(M. Catherine White, "David Thompson's Journal Relating to Montana and Adjacent Regions, 1800-1812" MSU Press, Missoula, MT 1950, page 82).

If you want really good fat, and I think it is PC, get some marrow bones and melt out that fat. Pure gold and makes the job real easy.
I've heard the same thing on the berries- the acidic aspect makes for a shorter shelf life but probably not an issue if it was going to be eaten within a few month's time.
What kind of "skin bags" was pemmican stored in? That is- parchment? tanned?

Cranberries would be a good addition to improve keeping qualities. Cranberries are rich in natural sodium benzoate, an oft used preservative you probably recognize if you do any label reading.
I remember reading years ago that the preferred berry used by natives was the Mountain Ash berry, rich in potassium sorbate! Added nuts supply tocopherols (vitamin E) which would help the keeping quality of the animal fat.
They didn't understand the science behind their pemmican recipes, but they knew what worked!

Fred,
Welcome to the Forum!!!

Natives as well as many peoples back then and before knew much more about things that worked(and many that didn't too :youcrazy: ) we just live in a society that 'over does it' with processing and 'science' to make a profit.
THAT is why I love reading this forum. Education!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers, DonK

Jack, it may be, but it sure tastes good on the trail, and I snack on it all day. I also carry a bag of "gorp". Not hc/pc, but????

Hi Friends

Just googles Pemmican Lex Rooker it is the top of the list.

I have a fantastic PDF file and don't know how to share it. The file has a ton of recipe on Pemmican and several pix. Look up Lex Rooker the person posting the file. I'm sorry but I don't even have the URL where the file was found.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag.

PS: Strange I was searching for pemmican recipes yesterday.

Back